Shohin Crape--Freshly potted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting piece, great work so far on this shohin, thanks for sharing.

Great pot selection as well.

Will

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's an update on this one. I decided to remove the cascading branch in order to rework it with a side branch into less of a "pine" shape cascade ....I know...I know.... don't raz me too hard LOL:D

Attachments

• IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4167.JPG
    IMG_4167.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4168.JPG
    IMG_4168.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 67

mo's bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
NEW cascade branch.

Great crape Ryan, I noticed the leaves were cut in half, is that to train the leaves to grow smaller or to give the apearance of small leaves untill one can train the tree to grow small leaves. I've heard the cut leaves will actualy heal into smaller leaves. Does it really work, if it does I'll train my crapes in the same manner.

Mo

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
It has not escaped my attention that once again a florida dweller has mentioned: "this years new growth" Only 2/3 of my trees have broken bud yet. Can we tone it down on all the new growth crap?

Tree's looking great Ryan.

Lucky you i only have leaves on one tree at the mo

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great crape Ryan, I noticed the leaves were cut in half, is that to train the leaves to grow smaller or to give the apearance of small leaves untill one can train the tree to grow small leaves. I've heard the cut leaves will actualy heal into smaller leaves. Does it really work, if it does I'll train my crapes in the same manner.

Mo

Cutting the leaves in half is supposed to be the "kinder" method to defoliating completely. Both methods are supposed to produce smaller leaves but I've had mixed results when it comes to cutting the leaves in half. Crape myrtles are very strong trees and as long as it is healthy you can defoliate the whole thing without any issues.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, I really like this tree. The pot is an excellent choice. Please keep posting the progression so we can see how the leaves respond.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, I really like this tree. The pot is an excellent choice. Please keep posting the progression so we can see how the leaves respond.

Thanks for the compliment! :D The cut leaves were from last year...the latest pics show the size of the leaves this year and the tree in its current state. I have a feeling they are going to stay pretty small and I won't need to cut the leaves or defoliate this year.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a feeling they are going to stay pretty small and I won't need to cut the leaves or defoliate this year.

But you may want to do it to help with ramification.

Top Bottom