shohin crape myrtle

Reaction score
Here is a shohin, that despite it's size is rather old... I pulled it out of my folks yard while re-landscaping with easily maintenaced plants since they are getting older. It had been planted some 15 years before, I remember when they did it and it was not a small plant then... unfortunately neglect of watering which it was then presumed dead and stumped, then continual lawnmower chopping had added to it's demise. I when working on their yard actually triped over it, it was growing allong the edge of their grass.

I dug it up 4 years ago and have been working on it since. It has some rather nice dead wood. Unfortunately because of it's size I will never be able to allow it to grow out a flower. Unless the trunk size is increased. It has been wired a couple of times and needs further refinement, as well as another pot. The peagravel as a top dressing is mainly to keep the weeds down, since we get so much rain, they would take over if not.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
How large is it?

I think that if I were you I would plant it deeper in a pot so there are no see-through roots. Tht would, I think, give it a very pleasing flare at the base.

I grow small crape myrtle, too, but I enjoy occasionally letting one go and seeing the blooms. They trim back easy enough when blooming is done.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never seen deadwood on a crape, very unique. I like it.
I let my small crape bloom this year for the first time, just to see what color it was. It was worth it, very pretty for a week, then just cut back the bloom spurs.

Reaction score
Jkl, not including the crappy pot, it stands 6 inches.
I agree with you on the roots. When collected, it had almost like a tap root going straight down, which held all the roots. the rest where dead at least I thought. So I planted it. the next thing I knew was that it actually sent out roots, almost like a ficus does, ariealing towards the ground. I was very surprised, for I had never seen this happen on a crape myrtle. I was letting them go in hopes that they would get bigger, but they never did. So yes, it needs to be buried lower. I just haven't gotten over it sending out the roots like it did.
I guess it figured it needed to do that in order to survive and perhaps with the humidity, it was able.

Last edited:
Top Bottom