Shohin Elm #002 neagari style

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am loving these background paintings! I have a whole group of cork elms that I will be growing out, all your threads/blog are great inspiration! Keep sharing your great work, much appreciated!

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
This year, I hope, will be the year that I can introduce some layering in the development of the foliage on these elms. Right now they are just tidy little blobs of green, but do not possess in my opinion the term bonsai yet. That comes from manipulating the foliage to a pleasing and dramatic shape.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice! Someday, when you catch this tree not covering parts up with leaves, I’d like to know what’s behind the leaves. I’m curious how the roots formed....it's an interesting character of a tree. Is everything I look at that seems to say trunk actually roots? Curiosity has me wondering.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This year, I hope, will be the year that I can introduce some layering in the development of the foliage on these elms. Right now they are just tidy little blobs of green, but do not possess in my opinion the term bonsai yet. That comes from manipulating the foliage to a pleasing and dramatic shape.

How old are your Elms? How many years have you had them potted? I have 1 Chinese Elm and a couple dozen native Winged Elms.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice! Someday, when you catch this tree not covering parts up with leaves, I’d like to know what’s behind the leaves. I’m curious how the roots formed....it's an interesting character of a tree. Is everything I look at that seems to say trunk actually roots? Curiosity has me wondering.

Everything before the green starts is root. They were cut off a big ugly elm clump. The last picture is the tree above.

011.JPG018.JPG044.JPG060.JPG036.JPG

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Everything before the green starts is root. They were cut off a big ugly elm clump. The last picture is the tree above.

View attachment 215904View attachment 215906View attachment 215907View attachment 215908View attachment 215909
Thanks. I appreciate the photo details. Refreshes my thinking that I should do something with all the American Elm roots I have around my area. Hah!...I was pulling them out and discarding them as a nuisance.

Top Bottom