Shohin Elm, dropping leaves. Help.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Picked up this little beauty last weekend at a convention in a much more temperate climate. Temperature here is probably 20° less. I do believe that I kept it inside at night because I did not want to shock it but it was still outside during the day however I may have left it outside one night under cover. I don’t believe I let it dry out but a couple days after I returned to Oregon the leaves seem to dry out and drop. Interestingly the trunk stayed quite damp for three or four days without me watering it. Made me believe that something was going on with the tree and did not want to absorb the water. I did give it a spray with liqui-cop after noticing some white particulate on the leaves, trunk, and soil. I ended up repotting it today because I wanted to inspect the roots and I wanted to inspect the roots and it did not look like the pot allowed for good drainage. I did not do any real root work but did notice nice white tips on the root ends. I will plan on keeping it inside this winter to baby it unless that is I’ll advised. Is there something that I am missing? Just getting into shohin so hopefully not starting out on the wrong foot.

697832F0-0397-4F99-83E0-9A17C16CB012.jpeg

731CC452-2231-4FBB-A44B-CF6137EA7674.jpeg

9CC196E3-939E-4567-84D8-3C24AA882E0A.jpeg

984F5C0F-9856-45FE-91CE-5ACE994AEF15.jpeg

FD7C1940-9B87-4A1C-91B0-6F9AAD42C7EA.jpeg

B91CB53F-AEBD-4BD8-90B7-4794418168CF.jpeg

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
looks like the soil could've gotten too dry at some point. Regardless trees don't normally respond well to being moved all over the place. I would definitely keep it outside at this point in the shade so it doesn't push new growth til spring

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looks like the soil could've gotten too dry at some point. Regardless trees don't normally respond well to being moved all over the place. I would definitely keep it outside at this point in the shade so it doesn't push new growth til spring

So basically letting it go to sleep. Temperatures here this next week should be ranging in the 50s during the day and 30s at night.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A chinese elm should be able to handle your climate zone just fine. They are pretty flexible trees. They can keep their leaves through the winter in milder climates, but act deciduous in the colder end of their range.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems an odd but safe fall.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would be suspicious that it was a hurry-up pot it up and sell it the next day. It may have too few roots to stand the strain of moving north to a new environment. Not much to do that wouldn't be just another insult, so I'd sink the pot, mulch it in and hope for a pleasant surprise next spring.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would be suspicious that it was a hurry-up pot it up and sell it the next day. It may have too few roots to stand the strain of moving north to a new environment. Not much to do that wouldn't be just another insult, so I'd sink the pot, mulch it in and hope for a pleasant surprise next spring.
That’s where I was thinking keeping it indoors might give it the impression it hadn’t moved North. I know it’s not best to keep inside but wondered if it would give it a better chance. Sounds like putting it to bed for the winter might be the way to go. Thank you.

Top Bottom