shohin elm

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a little indoor elm im working on,8"tall and the lower trunk is 21/2",i scored the lower left hand side of the trunk in spring in hopes of getting better nebari there,ive done a little digging recently and did see some new rootage,hopefully this will help the tree,any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCN0034.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 280

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All branches are fairly new so i know they need lots of work also,im having trouble getting back growth on this type of elm,ive worked with other elm species and never had this issue,and the leaves are also somewhat bigger.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like it's off to a start. I would put this thing in the ground if you have the option. It will grow a lot faster and you'll be able to a) heal scars quicker and b) work on fattening up those lower branches and the trunk faster.

Now, you said it was an indoor elm. Just to clarify, if you do plan on keeping this indoors (in a larger pot, hopefully), do you have a cold area where the tree can achieve dormancy?

Reaction score
first thing elms really shouldn't be grown indoors... I would suggest this tree go outside... the slow growth pattern is pretty much a sign... as far as the large leafs, that is usually a result of excess watering, which also will contribute to the growth prob. you are having.
I would suggest that seeing you live up north, that you talk to some of these other guys and ask them suggestions about keeping it outside, and main thing winterizing it... good luck

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On addition to what Stacy said the enlargement of leaves can also be due to the fact of low light. The tree feels it needs more so it forces the leaves to enlarge to have a larger surface area to absorb more light.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Guys,im aware of elm care,i have many varieties,this one comes in around thanksgiving,its not kept inside all year round,and a deeper pot might just be a good idea,thanks.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stacy,watering could be the culprit,what i meant by indoor elm is that its the not so hardy elm that needs to be kept inside during the cold months in my area,the tree usually drops all or most of its leaves by the time i have to bring it inside.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Stacy,watering could be the culprit,what i meant by indoor elm is that its the not so hardy elm that needs to be kept inside during the cold months in my area,the tree usually drops all or most of its leaves by the time i have to bring it inside."

I would think just about all C. Elm varieties would be winter hardy in Cecil County with some protection for their roots. I see no reason at all to bring an elm inside for the winter. Most of the people I know from up that way don't do it...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes. I can't imagine an elm in Maryland that couldn't take winters there.

You badly need branches on the right side. If it is not out where it gets lots of UV light, you are unlikely to get any/many branches there. Normally, kept outside, elms sprout everywhere!

You also need to start wiring the branches you do have; they're poking out -- straight and stiff looking -- at all sorts of odd angles.

As for the base, there's nothing outstandingly wrong with it that time won't cure.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the input,if you guys say its okay im gonna give it a try,and i agree its in bad need of some wiring.This was the first tree i ever owned,it was originally 19"tall,ive owned it for seven years now,the leader was originally the first branch.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will need to find it a sheltered spot out of the wind and provide protection for the roots -- I mulch mine under eight inches or so of shredded pine bark mulch. I usually do that the weekend of Thanksgiving. I let my elms get hit by four or five frosts (hopefully) and at least one hard freeze. The shallow frosts help prepare the tree for the deeper cold in the winter.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
update:I put some wire on my elm,just wanted to share,i think it looks much better.Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• DSCN0224.jpg
    DSCN0224.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
are you keeping it outside now ??? It looks much better... I like the style as well...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That looks MUCH better. But I'm going to mess with it some more. But only virtually.

It is too tall, and too thin up top. That can be improved by shortening it.

It also is leggy -- the branches are too long and a bit scraggly, especially on the left. That can be improved by shortening them.

The first picture shows (red lines) about where I would cut. It also has an arrow pointing to that arrow straight lower left branch. You need to wire that and give it some pretty definite movement.

Except for adding the movement, picture 2 shows about what I'm thinking of.

You're going to have a nice tree here.

Attachments

• jun1.jpg
    jun1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 77
  • jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 84

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys,the elm is always outside in the summer,JKL i like your virt,im hoping if it fares well threw the winter outside protected,ill take your advice in the spring and cut it back pretty hard.I apprciate all the input.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If it were mine, I'd do it now, including the wiring of that low branch.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I took your advice JKL and cut back branches and rewired the two lower branches,the pics from my basement kinda suck,but hopefully you can see what ive done,its kinda hard to see movement in the lower branch.

Attachments

• DSCN0226.jpg
    DSCN0226.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0228.jpg
    DSCN0228.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 52

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
here is a shot at eye level.

Attachments

• DSCN0229.jpg
    DSCN0229.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 74

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This elm is barely alive.......by elm standards.

Top Bottom