Shohin from Schley's

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've been debating not posting my trees anymore after all the drama that's been happening lately, but yet here we are ;)

A few months ago I went through a battle with OCD and ended up selling all of my trees because of it, something I regret to this day. Since then I've been rebuilding my collection, and today I received another addition.

This is a Willow Leaf Ficus I bought from Jason Schley during one of the Facebook auctions last week. It's a gorgeous little shohin, and one that I definitely plan on keeping for a while.

LRM_EXPORT_20170511_174654.jpg

And yes, I've started rebuilding my tool collection as well, lol.

Ben Nabors

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree! I love Shohin trees. I have the same problem with OCD and going through phases buying up stuff. I had a huge collection of coins and lost interest and sold all of them and moved on to reef aquariums!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing that one on the auction site. Congrats! I think it's a good tree for you at this point - it basically needs final development and wiring as opposed to chop and wait. Have fun with it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I remember seeing that one on the auction site. Congrats! I think it's a good tree for you at this point - it basically needs final development and wiring as opposed to chop and wait. Have fun with it.

If I've learned anything over all these years, it's that not every single tree needs to be chopped. This one is in a decent little pot, and so it'll stay in this while it's being worked. No need to put it into a training pot or bulb pan, and no need to chop it back any. Just ramification work in this current state.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've been debating not posting my trees anymore after all the drama that's been happening lately, but yet here we are ;)

A few months ago I went through a battle with OCD and ended up selling all of my trees because of it, something I regret to this day. Since then I've been rebuilding my collection, and today I received another addition.

This is a Willow Leaf Ficus I bought from Jason Schley during one of the Facebook auctions last week. It's a gorgeous little shohin, and one that I definitely plan on keeping for a while.

View attachment 145218

And yes, I've started rebuilding my tool collection as well, lol.

That is not art, it cannot develop mature foliage, looks like it is planted in turface and fed with Superthrive! Burn it.

JK! ;)

Pretty cool little tree- shaped like a wedge... I am not a tropicals guy but I think this is better than some of the monster trees you have posted and sold! I must say- without trying to be rude to Schley- this is better styled than most the trees he sells! He puts up some nice material for sale on the auction sites but I cannot help but think an extra 5-10 minutes pruning them/ wiring them out and a little work on color balance in his photos to make the green pop... He could sell 2-3X what he does currently! I don't know his volume, maybe this is such a small piece it doesn't matter? Hell not like I am pumping out masterpieces when I sell- pretty much exclusively cuttings on my end. Just an observation!

Glad you are getting your groove back man.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree! I love Shohin trees. I have the same problem with OCD and going through phases buying up stuff. I had a huge collection of coins and lost interest and sold all of them and moved on to reef aquariums!
There is some sort of connection between aquariums, Bonsai and reptiles too... I guess in each you are sort of making a microcosm of nature that you can control and manipulate to some degree... but I have had my run in all three during my life, and see the pattern repeated with others in this hobby... also collecting of most anything seems to be tied in as well... baseball cards, comics, knives, guns, I even saw @Smoke once had a hot sauce collection I think? Forget where I saw that... but there is some corellation between all of those- some similar part or function of the brain that makes them all appealing to "people like us"... I don't know if OCD is the shared trait though as I have always related that to excessive cleanliness in some way and I DAMN sure don't have that going on... My wife on the other hand...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, I've kept reptiles (just a few snakes), now bonsai...does that mean aquariums are in my future? They sure are beautiful to look at...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Pretty cool little tree- shaped like a wedge... I am not a tropicals guy but I think this is better than some of the monster trees you have posted and sold! I must say- without trying to be rude to Schley- this is better styled than most the trees he sells! He puts up some nice material for sale on the auction sites but I cannot help but think an extra 5-10 minutes pruning them/ wiring them out and a little work on color balance in his photos to make the green pop...

I told Jason that this is probably my favorite tree I've ever bought from him. It's got great potential.

I know what you mean about him posting trees on the auction sites. They tend to be on the overgrown or unstyled side, but are usually in a pot. He's got good prices on his trees, but like you said if he trimmed them up he could easily get more. He's just a very busy man with all the work he's been doing to his nursery. Cool things happening down there!

And by the way, I'm also into aquariums and I've got a bearded dragon :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Removing mites leaf by leaf on the old collection...no.

Removing mites leaf by leaf on the new collection....one hour.

Enjoying your trees again and having time to take some of the Most ARTFULL photographs ever...

OCDless!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is lovely. I wish I would've bid. Lol
Much lighter than the beasts you're used to.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I told Jason that this is probably my favorite tree I've ever bought from him. It's got great potential.

I know what you mean about him posting trees on the auction sites. They tend to be on the overgrown or unstyled side, but are usually in a pot. He's got good prices on his trees, but like you said if he trimmed them up he could easily get more. He's just a very busy man with all the work he's been doing to his nursery. Cool things happening down there!

And by the way, I'm also into aquariums and I've got a bearded dragon :D
I am shocked!
-blank stare-
This is my shocked face

Top Bottom