Shohin Fukien Tea

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I decided to repot my shohin Fukien Tea as it was no longer showing signs of thriving in its pot.
DSC_0068.JPG
Once, I removed the tree from the pot it was neither root bound or suffering from any root afflictions so I put it down to a poor soil mix it had been in for can't remember how long.

After A little repot in a slightly shallower and smaller pot, it looks like this.
DSC_0286.JPG DSC_0287.JPG
The moss is loving the new pozzie.
DSC_0289.JPG DSC_0290.JPG
The trunk
DSC_0291.JPG

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
The humidity in Taiwan definitely helps the plants, especially the tropicals. Aerial roots can sometimes become a pain as they have to be trimmed off all the time.

The humidity does not however help when sweating in 38C weather or slow the mosquito population growth down. My garden looks like Heathrow Airport some evenings.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just saw a video on how to grow trunk roots LOL they make video's for anything around here.
It said the tree must be rootbound, High Humidity, have High air moisture source, Tree must be old, Moist soil for only half the day, And long hours of daylight.
Here's what ours on this side of the world grow like Retusa.JPG
What happened to the leaves after the repot?

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
There was a heat wave with little rain. I watered everyday, well. But I think it was just situated badly and the sun beat it up. It started with the main right branch dying back. Then the top left died off. It lost its leaves and kicked it. A cutting I took from it survived as it was under the bench in almost full shade.

When I took it out the pot, there were no bugs or critters that seemed to cause the die back. I am guessing perhaps the roots supporting the main branch died as well and may have caused root rot. I can't remember it being very evident though.

Reactions: Vin

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@cockroach ,

Not Tropical ------ Sub Tropical from zone 9 at least in China.
Needs a 2 month rest.

If not root bound, can take 2 years to get rootbound in that original shallow pot

Does not like moss on the soil, stays too wet.
Growing them since 1980 if you wanted to know.

Your original shot, shows that the shrub may have needed pruning
and later on some fertiliser.
Try again.
Good Day
Anthony

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
@Anthony

Am I understanding right that FT's need a two month rest to prosper?

I ask as our last two winters have been abnormally warm with trees barely stopping growing. I was repotting ficus in Jan/Dec last year. Three years ago we had the coldest winter for something like a 100 years in Taiwan with snow 4km from my house.
Could tyhis prolonged growing season have been a factor?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@cockroach ,

my big question to you.

You live in the country of AMAZING Tree Penjing masters --------- why do you need this forum ?

You also have access to way better trees, why not join a club or other on your side.

If you can find Scott's report on Winter and Ficus trees.
Zones 9 to 10 still get frost if I remember correctly.
There is no Tropical zone in Mainland China.
So you have to adjust your thinking for the rules of zone 9 and 10.

Many Sub-Tropical trees follow the rule of the Japanese Maple,
Able to live for 4 years without dormancy.
Then die.
As long as the correct temperature occurs in those 4 years, they can probably
go on.

Pomegranates die in 25 to 30 years down here, no dormancy.

Depends on how the tree adapts.
Hope this helps.
Anthony

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I need this forum as I have a busy life and it helps that I can learn from the likes of you and other nutters in the middle of the night.
I have done a course and plan to do more in the future.

Top Bottom