Shohin Hinoki Placement

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Question for those that have done shohin displays (@Adair M, @Brian Van Fleet ?)
Where would you place a Hinoki Cypress in a shohin display?

Obviously, if you had a pine, the pine would go at the highest point in the display.
If you had no pine, would you place the Hinoki on the top as the conifer or somewhere else?
Is it possible or appropriate to place the Hinoki near the bottom?

Thanks

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Really need to see the whole display to give a good answer. It could go anywhere really, based on its directionality. If it's a really powerful tree, it could be the box topper. If it moves left, it should be on the bottom-right.

If you're emulating a mountain, it's probably in the middle, but then everything needs to emulate the mountain, so junipers and white pines higher up and deciduous trees and flowering/fruiting lower. My $.02

My club did a shohin display for a show last year, and it was the "outside" tree. I was actually trying to get a two-fer, by creating a 5-point shohin, and a 3-point display borrowing the hinoki for each. Not sure we quite pulled it off, but space was the main constraint, and it looked a bit crowded. It looked better in my studio. Here, it looks like the hinoki is really leaning away from the shohin group. Good for the shimp, bad for the rack.
IMG_7359.JPG

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really need to see the whole display to give a good answer. It could go anywhere really, based on its directionality. If it's a really powerful tree, it could be the box topper. If it moves left, it should be on the bottom-right.

If you're emulating a mountain, it's probably in the middle, but then everything needs to emulate the mountain, so junipers and white pines higher up and deciduous trees and flowering/fruiting lower.

My $.02

Thanks Brian, I really dont have any display yet, just looking at my trees, seeing what I have and thinking about future possibilities

Top Bottom