Shohin Holly Bonsai Tree Help?

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys gals, I just wanted to know if this type of Holly will flower?

Also, I know the Holly's can never have dry soil, but is there anything else I should know about the Shohin Holly that is very important? Like, how well do they take to artificial light? It's a 6500k CF bulb. I have many windows though, so I put it somewhere where I get a decent amount of light, that's no problem.

Thanks all!

Oh right also, I will be transplanting it to a new pot and I was wondering if there were any precautions to transplanting? Like is there a certain time in the season I should or shouldn't do it? Or can I do it at any time because it's indoors? Also, could you guys recommend me the best soil mix to use for the Holly? :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What type of holly is this? Note that "Shohin" refers to size (small).

In my experience with yaupon holly, they love lots of sunlight and they do flower. The bigger variety can also have berries. Note that indoor growing involves more than light, you also have to consider humidity and possibly air movement.

Repotting depends on where you are. In the USA, this is not the right time, better to wait for spring. They love well draining soil and I use 50% pine bark + 50% Turface.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi-
Shohin is a term used more to describe the dimensions of a bonsai. It sounds like you may be confusing this term with its species. There are several different species of holly, so you may want to get it identified.
If the holly in question is hardy to your locale, then it should not be subject to artificial light; it should be an outdoor tree and should be allowed to go dormant through the winter season.
Hollys consist of male and female plants. If yours is a female, it may flower, but it may not develop fruit unless a male pollinator is available. Holly flowers are however diminutive and not real showy.
Hopefully others can comment on its soil requirements as I have not worked with them. Repotting your tree right now may not be the best time
There is a lot of info on the web about this hobby, so I would encourage you to read up.
Finally, please complete your profile so that others know where you are and can better answer your questions. Good luck with your quest!

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
First of all Welcome to B'nut. Pictures would help. I keep my hollies outside 24/7 if you keep your's inside I don't think it will make it. You can alway's do a little shaping & triming on your tree now an then in the spring do your repotting. Again welcome & good luck, Pete

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hollies of whatever species MUST be outside. Please indicate on your profile the general area (at least the state) where you live so we can provide decent advice.

If you have a nursery plant with small oval leaves (with or without teeth) it probably is a male hybrid and will not produce fruit.

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
All great information! Thanks! I was under the impression that Holly's were indoor bonsais since most every site has them listed under such. I guess not haha.

Anyways, are Chinese Elms good indoor plants? I really want a bonsai that is all indoors. I really want a Fukien Tea Bonsai Tree but I know those don't do well inside at all because I have one haha.

So.. Chinese Elms?

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
Well that kinda sucks lol. Well then what happens during the winter when everything gets snowed on and frosts/ices over? Won't they die?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well that kinda sucks lol. Well then what happens during the winter when everything gets snowed on and frosts/ices over? Won't they die?
One reason why we asked you where you are.

Some plants may need winter (or sun) protection if they are not locally indigenous.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes location is very important. If your in Chicago it's a lot different than down here in Texas.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes location is very important. If your in Chicago it's a lot different than down here in Texas.

True, Chicago has a lot of liberal idiots while Texas has more fine conservative people, and its more tropical in parts of Texas too.

ed

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
True, Chicago has a lot of liberal idiots while Texas has more fine conservative people, and its more tropical in parts of Texas too.

ed

Alright Ed, back in the bar with ya... LOL! The good thing is that in Chicago, you can keep your dead bonsai because they still count!

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
Right.. I live in New Jersey. So during the winter, it can get as low as below zero, which it has on several occasions. Also, during the summer, it can go past 100 degrees. I figure though, during the winter, might I be able to keep it inside, but directly near a window, so it can get plenty of fresh air, but not enough to freeze?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keeping it inside will kill it, period. Trees native to your area (and other temperate zones of the world) are quite capable of handling winter. .They've been doing so for millions of years. Frozen roots are not a problem for most, including holly (although this is a sliding scale of sorts, depending on the KIND of holly you have and the lowest temps your area gets). For the most part, most holly species will have little trouble handling a New Jersey winter. Some species will need their roots protected from the worst of the cold, but by no means do they need to be brought inside for the winter.

Summer temperatures are also manageable with some shade and other practical precautions.

Make no mistake, indoors will kill you plant, period. Bringing it inside, then placing it outside, then bringing it back, etc. will kill it more quickly, as the plant has to make adjustments for each move. Plants have roots. They don't like to move. Placing them in a container doesn't change that.

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
So what do I do then? I really want to keep this tree, as it's a really nice one.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So what do I do then? I really want to keep this tree, as it's a really nice one.
First LISTEN. ID the plant by posting a picture...then MAYBE we can help & tell you what care it needs.

Providing piece meal info like extracting tooth from people becomes frustrating & tiring after a while.

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry about that...

7753477034_dc6366793f_c.jpg

That picture is about as far as my knowledge of it goes lol. Sorry..

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could be yaupon holly but I am not positive. Can you post a close up of the leaves?

l1ght

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't really, because that's the sellers photo, and I don't have the tree yet. I can zoom in further on the leaves and post that picture if it will help?

Also, does Shohin mean that this plant will never really get larger? Like it's growth is stunted? Or is that just a phase of the plant?

Here, I tried to get a closeup with the same picture.. if that helps:

7753540684_e114cebba2_b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom