Shohin Hornbeam

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Acquired 3 years ago from Loren Buxton...repotted into this Iker pot 2 years ago....love the color and texture of it but thinking its a bit too masculine and chunky......better in oval???View attachment 275418
Love the color and texture. Roy Minerai makes nice Shohin ovals in yellows, you might check with him.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would go oval too. But that glaze is perfect!
BTW saw this on the forum q and a 😎

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im not sure you have to go with oval honestly.

I agree that the color and texture of the pot complements the tree nicely. I love Iker pots, he makes really nice ones.
It is a chunky trunk that doesnt feel so feminine to me so the rectangle pot might fit it better than a round one.

You could test it if you found a picture of an oval pot and did some photoshop magic to get a vert of the tree in an oval vs the square pot.
Might give you a better idea of the "vibe" the oval pot would give it vs the rectangle one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pot and leaves works.

But the color of the moss and trunk ruins the comfort level.

No moss and it works again.

No leaves and it works again.

The lower trunk, especially with that man's face, is quite masculine.
But for that wide powerful reason, that pot should have a bit of an outward flare.
The straight edges are a masculine feature, but this tree has so much base, it seems it could cave the pot walls inward. Mostly because it is a bit too visually confined.

A femmy rectangle could work.
Maybe a real masculine oval.

But for me.... This combo has a high rating of...."not allowing you to see anything better looking at it"....not because it's good or bad....some trees just have a high level of that.
Where, a move to a "better" pot is mandatory just because, and THEN you will be able to see what will work work.

I appreciate this study. Very subtle mind fucks going on in this image.

Sorce

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Really unique and very nice Shohin Bonsai however it could use a Larger Spaghetti style bowl/pot with Brownish Moss and Ground Cover..…. I would cut remove part of Bottom Right branch to give some Geometric Uniformity & ground cover up those two eye look features at base of trunk...

Top Bottom