SHOHIN ILEX SERRATA 'KOSHOBAI'

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is something a little different. The rather rare Japanese holly cultivar Ilex Serrata 'Koshobai'. This cultivar is a very dwarf version of the classic species. The red berries are diminutive and it does not require a male to produce fruit. Leaves are quite small as well which are narrow and pointed.

Very vigorous and needs constant thinning throughout the growing season. Not quite 4 inches tall from soil level and hoping to find a good pot for it although I don't mind the one it is in now. Look forward to continue developing and refining this little jewel.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chunky little guy, I love how small the berries are. Definitely a sweet tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes me too and love yours! They are VERY hard to find here as bonsai of any age. 😱
Thanks, yes they are hard to find. I saw a pair at Brussels 10+ years ago that were fat but full of scars that will never heal, and that's been it. Yours looks pretty clean, and the berries are beautiful. I may need to go check on mine today. I've been working on branches and not focused on fruit, but it has fruited, so it should again in due time. I actually got a cutting to take a few years ago! Slow growers.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, yes they are hard to find. I saw a pair at Brussels 10+ years ago that were fat but full of scars that will never heal, and that's been it. Yours looks pretty clean, and the berries are beautiful. I may need to go check on mine today. I've been working on branches and not focused on fruit, but it has fruited, so it should again in due time. I actually got a cutting to take a few years ago! Slow growers.

Soon after the berries wither, I will need to address the main trunk and cut it back. It is very strong. I fear it will begin to weaken the lower growth. This past year I did constant thinning on the main trunk while I left the others alone.

I have not seen any myself in the US but I am sure a couple exist somewhere.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Soon after the berries wither, I will need to address the main trunk and cut it back. It is very strong. I fear it will begin to weaken the lower growth. This past year I did constant thinning on the main trunk while I left the others alone.

I have not seen any myself in the US but I am sure a couple exist somewhere.
Airlayer? I'd sure love one off that....

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neat tree Sergio! I have an ilex serrata but not a dwarf variety. I have found it air layers very easily so there's a good chance it would root from cuttings, but I haven't tried doing that. Branches are very easy to break though, gotta be careful with these. There's no warning, they don't start to split or tear - they just SNAP! Too late LOL.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing little tree, Serg.

I had an Ilex Serrata years ago. It was about 6 feet tall, if you stood it up. Lots of berries, and as a result, lots of maintenance . I killed it by trying to get it down to a manageable size.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Neat tree Sergio! I have an ilex serrata but not a dwarf variety. I have found it air layers very easily so there's a good chance it would root from cuttings, but I haven't tried doing that. Branches are very easy to break though, gotta be careful with these. There's no warning, they don't start to split or tear - they just SNAP! Too late LOL.

Good to know Chris as I am planning to do some fine wiring on just a couple of branches to reset them. I also would like to get a couple of cuttings out of this one.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Amazing little tree, Serg.

I had an Ilex Serrata years ago. It was about 6 feet tall, if you stood it up. Lots of berries, and as a result, lots of maintenance . I killed it by trying to get it down to a manageable size.

Do you know how hardy are they?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you didn't ask me, but I winter mine with my other trees in a shelter inside my barn that is maintained at about 26-27 F during the winter. It has been exposed to lower temps but only for short periods.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’ve left mine outside down into the low 20s with no problem in a pot, and into low teens in the ground. Maybe I’ve gotten lucky so far, but I treat it like it’s as hardy as my trident maples. It only came in the house when it dropped into single digits.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know you didn't ask me, but I winter mine with my other trees in a shelter inside my barn that is maintained at about 26-27 F during the winter. It has been exposed to lower temps but only for short periods.

I’ve left mine outside down into the low 20s with no problem in a pot, and into low teens in the ground. Maybe I’ve gotten lucky so far, but I treat it like it’s as hardy as my trident maples. It only came in the house when it dropped into single digits.

Great thank you guys. Good info!

Top Bottom