SHOHIN ILEX SERRATA 'KOSHOBAI'

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I always brought mine inside my garage--around 40 degrees F. But for the first few years, I had it in the ground outside with no protection at all. It regularly gets down to -5 F. or even colder. That tree was tough. Winds didn't bother it at all.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I always brought mine inside my garage--around 40 degrees F. But for the first few years, I had it in the ground outside with no protection at all. It regularly gets down to -5 F. or even colder. That tree was tough. Winds didn't bother it at all.

Great, thank you Fred!

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Awesome tree. I had one of these years ago but it died on me. They are somewhat popular in Japan but rare in the states. I have read a couple of times that in Japan they like to side graft them on a standard serrata for shohin size so they have a swollen base but with the small leaves and berries. I wonder if that is what you have here. Either way delightful. I have some ilex verticillata I am growing out with both red and yellow berries.

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
Super cool color combo from bark to berries on that tree. I’ll definitely keep a lookout for one of these. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it moving forward. Love it!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like it! I got a feeling you're waiting for the right beauty berry to come along 😄

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome tree. I had one of these years ago but it died on me. They are somewhat popular in Japan but rare in the states. I have read a couple of times that in Japan they like to side graft them on a standard serrata for shohin size so they have a swollen base but with the small leaves and berries. I wonder if that is what you have here. Either way delightful. I have some ilex verticillata I am growing out with both red and yellow berries.

Yes indeed very possible! Love the verticillatas with yellow berries! Good luck with them :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've had many of these beautiful trees, but can't keep them alive.

Two years ago I came across a two gallon can size Koshobai in a nursery for a landscape shrub. It was about 2 feet tall. I cut it back, wired a little and put it in a deep bonsai container immediately. Well, it has survived two winters here in Rochester, NY in my cold greenhouse, kept about 50-60F. This year its in my garage kept about 27F. I may chicken out and put it in the cold greenhouse later on.

Yes, the larger Koshobai in Japan are usually grafted on to Ilex serrata with heavy trunks. Mr. Takeyama has a couple of the best ones in his garden. I just looked through over 40,000 images on my computer to find a photo, but could locate it. But, attached is a larger size Koshobai bonsai from Mr. Takeyama's garden which I photographed about a week agoKOSHOBAI.JPG. This one does not look like it was grafted on the thick trunk.

Small plants are usually propagated by grafting in Japan.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@William N. Valavanis Great tree from one of my most favorite gardens! Bill do you think mine was grafted? Looking at it closely I can't say that I see any evidence of it? Doesn't really matter much to me but just out of curiosity.

I am hoping mine does well. Cross my fingers!

Top Bottom