Shohin Itoigawa

fore

Omono
Reaction score
This is my other import. The foliage is very thin, small and delicate. Very cool.

Repotted this spring. Needs styling, cutting back, later this yr. Also need to start shari.

Attachments

• untitled-39.jpg
    untitled-39.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 338

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can't see much but imagining a great trunk beneath those foliage. :)

Re: shari, Kathy Shaner taught us to make oblong cuts along the line of your intended shari that you expand over several years and eventually inter connect to give the tree time to channel the sap flow properly. DO NOT do it all at once (unless you are sure of what you are doing). If this is not clear send me a PM.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Can't see much but imagining a great trunk beneath those foliage. :)

Re: shari, Kathy Shaner taught us to make oblong cuts along the line of your intended shari that you expand over several years and eventually inter connect to give the tree time to channel the sap flow properly. DO NOT do it all at once (unless you are sure of what you are doing). If this is not clear send me a PM.

Or read all about it here...(esp. Post #10)
nice juni...let's see that trunk!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I absolutely love this tree. I've had it now for 2 yrs and haven't touched it other than repot this spring. This is it in '12 where you can see the trunk

Attachments

• ba-56ct.jpg
    ba-56ct.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 204

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Repotted this spring. Over the last 2 yrs, I had let this grow into a bush as it was rather weak when I got it. I cleaned out the old needles, weak buds, and underneath buds, crotch buds. I also slowly started cleaning the vein only to find a lot more dw than expected from the front view.

I'll wire it up this fall and let it go for a season untouched other than summer cleaning.

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 174

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Look at the difference in foliage density from the bottom back up to the top in this thread...it looks like it's been significantly weakened over the course of this year. Add to it the fact it was repotted. I'd be quite hesitant to wire it this winter until it has bulked up considerably. That's just my opinion, and I have a more conservative approach...but that seems to help lower my death count.

Here is my Itoigawa...probably grown in the same field as yours. I repotted it this spring and let it grow. I may start to wire it next spring, or it may continue to selectively prune it to build more density. If it was as sparse as yours, I would be concerned it wouldn't make it to next spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 156

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chris,

I agree with Brian. It look rather sparse right now. I'd concentrate on it's health for at least another year if it is mine.

If it is a D-tree or tropical, I will tell you to go for it. :D

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is a beautiful tree. As others have mentioned, since there has been so much that has been removed, the tree is currently in a very weak stage. You will really need to watch the tree. It may not be taking in as much water, so you may have to adjust accordingly. However, you might want to mist or lightly hose off the foliage to keep the humidity up. Also, maybe protect the tree from intense afternoon sun.

I am concerned about this tree because one minor scale, mite or fungus problem could wipe this tree out in a matter of a week. However, I would not spray any chemicals on it unless it becomes necessary.

Rob

fore

Omono
Reaction score
That pic isn't the best, it's not that paltry. Besides, I did what I was supposed to do with summer cleaning. It's just that I've had it for a couple yrs where I didn't touch it and a lot had to come off. Here's another pic, but either way, I'm not worried. Plus, it's water usage has only been reduced very slightly if at all. The small pot in akadama dries rather quickly req. me to water daily if not twice daily. But I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I see where you're headed; the top photo shows it well...I'd just be concerned about the timing; this type of work is typically winter/spring work. I try to keep plenty of foliage on my junis going into fall/winter, but you're studying with Ryan Neil, so you're in good hands!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. Rayan told us Aug is the best time to clean out. Styling in fall, my next class in Oct we will be styling. If it hasn't recovered to my expectations I'll certainly wait own styling. I'm in no rush. Like you, I'd love to have some bulk put on before then. One other thing, I basically slip potted this one, changing angle and replaced w new akadama. I forgot to mention this earlier.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Well another Finally moment for me. I got this spring of '11. 3/4 mature, 1/4 juvenile. I'm finally getting mature growth on all of the tree.

...this must be my yr of juve => mature transitions lol

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@fore how did the styling go? Where did you import it from? Any issues with akadama in your colder Chicago winter?

Top Bottom