Shohin Japanese Maple [#18]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharing another shohin maple of mine. This one is 5" tall from soil level.

This pic is from last autumn.

Below is the newly repotted tree paired with a Satomi Terahata container.

This maple is very different from everything I have. Its internodes are incredibly short with very, very tiny leaves and very delicate twiggy growth. Some of its buds are almost microscopic... no joke! I do not know what variety this one may be.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice pot!
Just kidding (although it IS a nice pot!)
What a cool tree. Wonder what type it is. Suthin?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice pot!
Just kidding (although it IS a nice pot!)
What a cool tree. Wonder what type it is. Suthin?

Haha that's what Colin said critiquing a tree once! Thanks I do like the pot very much. I got this one a while back from a estate sale in PA. VERY SLOOOOOOW grower! :eek:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe one of the Yatsabusas maybe ? Mikawa or Shishi Yatsabusa

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe one of the Yatsabusas maybe ? Mikawa or Shishi Yatsabusa

Yes probably but definitely not Mikawa. I have Shishi Yatsubusa as a patio tree and is not that one either. Growth pattern is vastly different.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Wonderful little maple! Graceful lines. I like the new pot far better as well. Thanks for sharing!

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I might need to take a "field trip" to see all of your wonderful trees in person. I love maples and Serge, yours are inspirational.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can't get this little tree out of my mind, I think my next tree will be something small like this guy.

Yes Judy there is something almost magical about shohin sized bonsai in general. Having said that, this size has not been my personal preference. I enjoy the physical presence of larger trees these days. But variety is always a good thing to have. ;)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Your trees are so nice! Down here I can only buy radioactive green trunks straight as a flagpole.

Well if all you can find is straight trees... then un-straighten them! And don't worry, you're in luck. The radioactive green is a color that's much on trend these days! :D Bonsai is one of the few things in life that get better with age. All good things will come with perseverance and hard work as you know.

If you look at some of Bill Valavanis' trees and their humble beginnings many, many years ago, it would have been difficult to foresee that those little, almost laughable sticks in pots would have one day make up probably the best maple collection in the USA and one of the best in the world. Talk about inspiration!

Top Bottom