Shohin Japanese Maple [#18]

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I love it.

You still have no idea of what cultivar it might be? The red buds, and also the greyish colour of the bark makes me think of Deshojo: does it have red leaves at the beginning of the growth season?...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love it.

You still have no idea of what cultivar it might be? The red buds, and also the greyish colour of the bark makes me think of Deshojo: does it have red leaves at the beginning of the growth season?...

No, no idea. Definitely not deshojo. Leaves are green.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Any idea how old this tree is? I would guess 20 - 25 years old but it is just a guess, again great tree and great work.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Any idea how old this tree is? I would guess 20 - 25 years old but it is just a guess, again great tree and great work.

Thanks J! You are probably right. I would also guess around 25. It could well be more, but I always like to guess on the conservative side. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Beautiful bonsai! From the character of the bark, twigs and buds my first guess would be just a seedling Japanese maple. However, once the foliage emerges, and matures you can make a better guess of the variety.

Looks great the way it is, but I think tilting it a bit towards the right would improve the trunk line movement.....

BillNEW-WNV-IDEA.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful bonsai! From the character of the bark, twigs and buds my first guess would be just a seedling Japanese maple. However, once the foliage emerges, and matures you can make a better guess of the variety.

Looks great the way it is, but I think tilting it a bit towards the right would improve the trunk line movement.....

BillView attachment 100044

Thanks for the reply Bill! I will post again when the tree is in leaf. I will certainly look into tweaking the planting angle at the next repotting.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks great the way it is, but I think tilting it a bit towards the right would improve the trunk line movement.View attachment 100044
You said exactly what I was thinking! The current 90-degree left turn in the trunk jars my eye a bit as it goes from nearly vertical to nearly horizontal.

Cool tree either way though; your work is always impressive :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another really nice tree.....save some for me will ya!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Properly dressed, it is quite pretty :)

Thanks Oso. She really is. And as is almost always the case she's better in person. I am trying to build a larger canopy that's not so close to the trunk as you see in previous photos. I am elongating some of its lines so that it appears more natural with an "easy" and "effortless" appearance. At least that's the intent.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Placing shohin in larger containers is an old trick for keeping them happy under the intense summer heat. By fall all escaped roots can then be trimmed back.

She is a beauty. Is the substrate in the outer pot the same as in the inner pot?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What an amazing looking tree. I love the smooth silhouette of the canopy, it's shape. Looks so great in such a small tree.

This is quite inspiring for me.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love that tree. I'm crazy about shohin maples. I don't have any "finished" ones but I have a couple early in development. Always good to have something to aspire to!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a gorgeous tree, with just the right amount of movement. The leaves are beautiful.

Top Bottom