SHOHIN JAPANESE WHITE PINE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Japanese white pine that I acquired from @JudyB. This tree caught my attention a few months ago when I was doing a workshop at Judy's place. Not long after, she graciously offered to me for purchase. This year I have been introducing several conifers into my garden and white pines have become of particular interest to me.

Recently re-styled, this little pine features small needles, delicate flaky bark, strong root base and beautiful trunk movement. 7.5" tall from its base in a possible Bigei pot?

Before the work

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 11.12.45 PM.png

After

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The bark on this tree makes it particularly valuable. Own roots I presume?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very beautiful, Sergio!

Interested to hear your plans for the container. Will you keep it in this container at the next repotting or do you plan to go in a different direction?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very beautiful, Sergio!

Interested to hear your plans for the container. Will you keep it in this container at the next repotting or do you plan to go in a different direction?

Thank you! No plans yet. I do like the current pot but I will probably search for other options.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi Sergio!

I tend to repeat myself some time but beautifull work once again!

I dont have enough experience yet to work on white pines but I fell in love with the species not so long ago...
I can finally start to appreciate work done on white pines.

I do have the same opinion as you on the tree actual pot, I like it with its vertical lines matching the pine needles.
In your 3rd pictures of the ¨after¨ under the sun light, the pot match almost perfectly the color of the bark on the main trunk, primary branches and the foliage color add a great flash effect to the composition.
Could I suggest a lighter green moss color to add uniformity, that is if you want to ¨blend¨ the color of the foliage a little bit more?

On a side note I absolutely dont want to hijack this thread but I came accross a beautifull example last week, or maybe that tree was just close to the image I had of a white pine! That tree is also on its own roots or again my untrained eyes couldnt see where the magic happened..
Im dreaming of that tree since a couple days now!
Please don't take this comment as offensive, That might be a clumsy way of saying it but Ive seen this tree and yours being his little brother!

20220824_140511[1].jpg

Again very nice tree and keep up your good work
Ugo

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Ugo. That is a nice tree! It looks to be an exposed root style?

Your comment on the moss is right on point 👍

Reactions: Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sergio,

Yes it is! Well I think...my pictures doesnt really give it justice but the way I see it is that the actual trunks are roots that have fused together?!
The tree is still "young" at 45yrs old so that void in the trunk filled with substrate will probably be enhanced in the future.

20220824_140515.jpg

Top Bottom