Shohin Jbp

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone think this tree is underpotted? I mean, its a great exhibition pot but, not sure if I should go an inch or two bigger for now until I decide to maybe show the tree? My club meets in 2 weeks, so I figured i'd ask some advice here.

Very nice black pine.

I agree the pot should be bigger when not being showed. A little more leg room for the roots should benefit the health of this tree.

Shohin Kid

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sweet lil tree Duane. Any friends on a mountain near the snow?

That loooong growing season could make for twice the candle pruning, and ramification, making this a really fine tree that much sooner.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
visfsucym, yenling83, shohin & bill, thanks for your comments.

So I took the tree to our club meeting & 2 sensei's say the tree will be fine in this pot, BUT it is up to me whether I re-pot into a little bigger pot at the expense of maybe longer needles & thicker branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any problems getting this onto the island? Or was it sold from HI?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the pot it is in and wouldn't put it into a larger put anytime soon. No need to really, at this point anyways.

Killer tree, again :)

Jason

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, i'll take the 5th on that:)

JasonG, thanks again. We're going to check the roots on this tree. The trunk is remains wet most of the day, this concerns me.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duane! Sorry I overlooked this posting during my recent turmoil - glad I noticed it today! :)

What a marvelous tree! Certainly one of the nicest of this type that I have ever seen. You are really getting hold of some great stuff over there. This is one heck of a beauty!

Will

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Chris, i'll take the 5th on that:)

JasonG, thanks again. We're going to check the roots on this tree. The trunk is remains wet most of the day, this concerns me.

Do you keep it in full sun? I wouldn't protect this guy from the sun or winter at all.....Water once a day in the summer. Let us know what you find.... Jason

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Will, thanks for the confirmation. Hope all is well.

JasonG, the roots looked good. I didn't take any pics because it was a very windy day & we had to be quick. The akadama had broken down some & was causing the pot to hold water. I had to scape the broken down akadama from the bottem of the pot. I re-potted the tree without doing any rootwork into a wider, deeper Chuck Iker pot. I will keep the tree in this pot until its ready to be shown.
I keep the tree in full sun & water once in the morning. I was concerned because even in Hawaii's hot sun, the trunk remained wet the next day. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom