Shohin Jbp

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all, been busy at work & haven't posted anything lately. I want to share with you all my shohin japanese black pine. Hope you like it =)

Its said to be a 30-40 year old import from japan.

shoss7.jpg

I feel it has a great trunk.

shoss11.jpg

shoss13.jpg

7 inches including pot.

shoss18.jpg

shoss40.jpg

I love this little tree!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love it too!

Awesome aquisition, I am envious:D

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sweet tree!! I am envious as well--such a great impression of age from that trunk!!

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Al, Paul & Rick. This one is definitely one of my favorites now =)

Rick, I have 18 jbps in various stages & so far I haven't had any problems. I have seen lots of healthy jbps here on oahu. Funny thing is, before I got into bonsai, I never really paid any attention to anyones front yards. Now I do! & I swear some of them jbps in peoples yards has to be in the 60-80 year range, maybe older. I remember playing in a neighbors yard & always getting poked by this one plant, yup, it was a jbp. The tree is still there in their front yard, & now I admire it instead of cursing it =)

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Duane -
I love this pine - there is a lot of character in a small package. The bark is really nice for a small tree. Did you purchase on Ebay, may I ask ?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Duane,

Gotta say that you have shown some really good material over the last few months. This however has to be the crowning jewel in your collection. You have done a superb job acquiring quality material and my feeling is that your collection with in the next decade will be one to be very envious of.

Thanks for sharing

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I came so close to bidding on this when it was listed on Ebay. But last minute emergency and the funds went elsewhere........:D Glad to see some one I know got it! Now you can keep us updated with the progression. Congratulations!

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Al, Paul & Rick. This one is definitely one of my favorites now =)

Rick, I have 18 jbps in various stages & so far I haven't had any problems. I have seen lots of healthy jbps here on oahu. Funny thing is, before I got into bonsai, I never really paid any attention to anyones front yards. Now I do! & I swear some of them jbps in peoples yards has to be in the 60-80 year range, maybe older. I remember playing in a neighbors yard & always getting poked by this one plant, yup, it was a jbp. The tree is still there in their front yard, & now I admire it instead of cursing it =)

I know you have several Duane, but don't they need a dormant period to survive?

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know you have several Duane, but don't they need a dormant period to survive?

I decided to answer my own question duh!

<<Black pine is a native of Japan. It prefers but does not insist on colder climates; needs special care if grown in the warmer regions.>>

To me Hawaii constitutes a warmer region, well at least compared to where I live. What special care if any to you give 'em so they really prosper?

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
awesome tree duane! congratulation on your acquisition.

eric

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Very killer tree!! I would love to have it in my collection....or atleast one similar to it :)

I look forward to watching this one over the next few years...

Jason

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Duane,
Like the others I agree that it is a really nice looking tree.
One question, I notice that the needles are a little of the yellow side and a lot of them have brown tips…any concerns on your part?
G.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
davetree & Ryan, thanks & yes ebay. Theres a story to this ebay tree. Maybe later though =)

Tom, thankyou. 2008-2009 have been kind to me. I hope your feeling about the next 10 yrs rings true;)

Rick, i'm glad you answered your own question, cause the lord knows I can't:eek:
Honestly Rick, I just give them the best love & care that I know at the moment. I do notice longer needles on some of my pines due to Hawaii's looooonnng growing season. I also noticed that most my trees take a rest from growing, not dormant, but rest. I'm still new in the game & still learning everything I can from club sensei's, members & fellow bonsaist in Hawaii. I may be able to answer better in about five years from now after watching my trees develop.

ericN, thank you

JasonG, thanks for your kind words & the feeling is mutual, no....not mutual. I would give a whole bunch to have your collection & Walter Pall at my house!:p

ghues, thanks & no, not concerned at all. Brown tips, needles cut, looks better on ebay. Most are old needles & will be pulled later. I look at the new buds & color of the new candles & I feel safe.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot

Anyone think this tree is underpotted? I mean, its a great exhibition pot but, not sure if I should go an inch or two bigger for now until I decide to maybe show the tree? My club meets in 2 weeks, so I figured i'd ask some advice here.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It's amazing how so fine an image can be created in something so tiny. Someone did an outstanding job!

Since you ask for comments about the pot ... I think you could get something a tad bigger; I would if it were mine. I would also get a different color: to me, the present pot's color is strong enough to distract from the tree itself.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone think this tree is underpotted? I mean, its a great exhibition pot but, not sure if I should go an inch or two bigger for now until I decide to maybe show the tree? My club meets in 2 weeks, so I figured i'd ask some advice here.

Maybe you could place the pot, tree and all into a larger terracotta pot filled with sand? I do this with some of my Shohin trees during the hottest months and it seems to help. During the heat the roots of your pine may get damaged because of how small the pot is...but if you have it in a pot filled with sand it may help to keep the roots cool enough so that they stay healthy. Just a theory....I've never tried it on my pines before, they are still not in bonsai pots:)

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the input Steve & Ryan. I'm watching this tree closely to see how it reacts to Hawaii's weather. I will more than likely opt for a little bigger pot.

Top Bottom