Shohin Juniper Semi Cascade

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
You wrong me Vance. Of course I did not forget. I just think it's silly and childish.

Sometimes Chris it is they way people handle situations.
Me I prefer the head on deal with whatever comes at me.
I left childish ways behind me when I became an Adult.
So there Bite Me :D
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mom

You wish, Irene!;)

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
I'm working on it, Chris. I'm still looking for alternate pots for my big satsuki.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Irene,

I used my right to set the ignore feature available on this forum to ignore a few people from another forum who's posts were usually designed to incite arguements and contained no value what-so-ever to me. In short I used the feature to ignore childlish remarks.

As an intelligent adult, I made a decision, sorry if that bothes some, what amazes me is those that continue having a one sided conversation with me even though they know full well I do not read their posts, in fact their posts do not even show up on my screen thanks to the ignore feature here. Based on their past actions, I doubt that I am missing much.

For the record, for those who forgot, I dealt head on with these few people for years, in fact right on this forum at first. But you can only knock a man down so many times before you get bored with the whole thing, I got bored so I no longer play thier pointless and childlish games.

Sorry guys, life is too short for meaningless drivel, you'll have to find another outlet for your gudges, envy, whatever it is.

ovation22,

It will be a year or so before this tree is even ready for a repot, atthat time I think I'll do a dozen or so virts using real pots and find one that fits, maybe even a scoop pot? Thanks though for you thoughts, they are appreciated.

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You forget Chris, Will has put you and several others on his ignore list which, as I understand it, means he cannot see what you have written. It's not that he is ignoring you ----- he's-----ignoring you, at least electronically.

Hmmmmm.......I thought I just said that Vance.

Mom

You had not said that at the time I wrote it, crossed in the mail.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mom

Come on Irene, you can't have your cake and eat it too. On one hand you are for letting confrontational things go and on the other you "deal with whatever comes at me head on".

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was brought to my attention that many people may not know what the ignore feature is.....so....

If you add someone to your ignore list, you can no longer see what they post, hence my not knowing what was said by a person who was on mine, I literally did not see his words.

Kinda Orwellian isn't it?

Sorry this all got sidetracked, but I do appreciate the comments and suggestions I did see on this little Juniper, thanks!

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So much for actual writing about actual trees. I thought I had been pretty supportive on the trees posted.

Funny thing about ignore is, you can certainly see the fact that the person posted. But I guess it only matters what people who fawn think or say.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So much for actual writing about actual trees. I thought I had been pretty supportive on the trees posted.

Funny thing about ignore is, you can certainly see the fact that the person posted. But I guess it only matters what people who fawn think or say.

No one said you were not supportive on this post.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Come on Irene, you can't have your cake and eat it too. On one hand you are for letting confrontational things go and on the other you "deal with whatever comes at me head on".

Yes I can have cake and eat it to Vance. :D
Yes I do deal with whatever comes my way and then I either answer it or work it out.
The end results is what matters not the skirmish.
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we please go back to talking about the trees? It's funny...I have always avoided critiquing trees, and maybe I have just realized why.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A two line cascade or semi-cascade is nothing unusual, and not really that difficult, either.

Do you have a couple examples of yours I could see and study?

In prepariation of the winter, most my trees are being wired and some shaped. Here is an update on the direction I am thinking for this one.

(Amazing the crap still went on in this thread, even though I had my ignore list on, I guess it doesn't matter if someone is listening or not, lol.)

Anyhow...the updates....

Will

Attachments

• shohin_cascade_juniper_001_500.jpg
    shohin_cascade_juniper_001_500.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 37
  • shohin_cascade_juniper_002_500.jpg
    shohin_cascade_juniper_002_500.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 22
  • shohin_cascade_juniper_003_500.jpg
    shohin_cascade_juniper_003_500.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my opinion, if you remove the upper branch and/or foliage, you will turn what could be a very nice two-line shohin into a less-than average cascade. All this tree needs is a little wire and pruning to induce back budding when it's stronger.

There is no need for defense if there is no attack. I don't know how many shimpakus you own, but youseem well aware that this one needs growth. What do you feed with? Feed it as heavily as it will take until the growth is sending runners inches outside the foreseen outline. Then cut back. It will reward you with enough growth to make any design decisions you decide to make.

A two line cascade or semi-cascade is nothing unusual, and not really that difficult, either. It all depends on what you learn from the tree. The upper trunk line here fits really well with the lower and will make this a more artistically pleasing shohin. Good luck with it.

(Amazing the crap still went on in this thread, even though I had my ignore list on, I guess it doesn't matter if someone is listening or not, lol.)

Will

What amazes me is that I gave you good advice about a tree and you made it personal. I thought we had all established that not only did someone discussing a tree not need to have one like it, they didn't even really need any first-hand knowledge of the subject, or not much about bonsai in general!

Will, I have worked on many trees. Some of them were cascades. Some of them were two-line cascades with one line being a crown and the other dropping. Some had more than one cascading branch. Right now I have no cascades as such. I have one shimpaku that was neglected for years and is now pushing new growth like crazy so I can cut it back and force back budding.

Is there anything about the advice I gave you that led you to believe I was attacking you on this thread?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,

Get over the paranoia, nobody is making anything personal. I asked to see examples of yours I could see and study solely because you said that multi trunked cascades were not difficult, I naturally assumed you had hands on experience, sorry.

As far as attacks, I'm sorry, did I say that you were attacking me?

....can we keep in on topic?

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone

In prepariation of the winter, most my trees are being wired and some shaped. Here is an update on the direction I am thinking for this one.
Will

Here is an example of an elegant multi-line cascading juniper. I apologize for the photography.

How do you winter your trees? I usually prefer to wire mine in early spring, although I do some light pruning in fall.

Attachments

• Shimpaku multi line.jpg
    Shimpaku multi line.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an example of an elegant multi-line cascading juniper. I apologize for the photography.

How do you winter your trees? I usually prefer to wire mine in early spring, although I do some light pruning in fall.

Is that your cascade Chris? I ask because I asked you for an example of one of yours so we could discuss your claim that "two line cascade or semi-cascade is nothing unusual, and not really that difficult, either."

I wire my pines and conifers in the fall after the second flush, I find this allows for the maximum amount of time the wire can be left on without interferring with the primary growing season. I also wire my decidious trees in the fall, after the foliage has dropped, for the same reasons but also because the structure is easy to see then. Tropicals are wired at this time as well, for the same reasons as the pines. I do not wire Larches at this time.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that your cascade Chris? I ask because I asked you for an example of one of yours so we could discuss your claim that "two line cascade or semi-cascade is nothing unusual, and not really that difficult, either."

I thought we had already established that I do not have a multi-line cascade. Perhaps you missed it. However I have seen a number of beautiful ones, both at Boon's shows and in fine bonsai books. You should try it.

I wire my pines and conifers in the fall after the second flush, I find this allows for the maximum amount of time the wire can be left on without interferring with the primary growing season. I also wire my decidious trees in the fall, after the foliage has dropped, for the same reasons but also because the structure is easy to see then. Tropicals are wired at this time as well, for the same reasons as the pines. I do not wire Larches at this time.

Pines have three times that it is safe or recommended to wire. In early spring before any bud movement, in fall if winter protection from freeze can be given, and a third time that is very good. Anyone know when that is?

Top Bottom