Shohin K Hornbeam, 11 years in the making for Fall.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Korean Hornbeam cut down from larger tree. Branches and top 11 years in the making and now showing for Fall. A few crimson leaves this year. Will not last till weekend.

Tree is; 6.5 inches tall
Trunk is: 2 inches across
Pot by: Yozan

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_00760001.JPG
    DSC_00760001.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 360

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. Great work as always Al.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
What is your trick for getting the fall color in your Hornbeam? The leaves on mine just turn brown and fall off without turning colors.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one Al, in the first pic the date said 2009 how big was it before that point? The lower part you marked to remove in the first pic I assume is a root, did it slow down the tree much removing that large a root?

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one Al, in the first pic the date said 2009 how big was it before that point? The lower part you marked to remove in the first pic I assume is a root, did it slow down the tree much removing that large a root?

ed

The first picture is a picture. It was a picture of the tree developed on film. My last computer crashed in 2009 and this is a scan of the picture made with this new computer I purchased in 2009. The red lines are masking tape I painted with a red sharpie. I lost a lot of pictures in that crash and many were on bonsaiTALK. Of course I can't get those back either. Actually the tree was bought in Nov. of 2001 and the chop was done in the spring of 2002. The tree came from El Dorado Bonsai and could have been an import thru Telperion farms who was working in conjunction with El Dorado during that time. I think Dolly Fasio is up in Oregon now after her husbands heart attack back in 2005.

Chris, update?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is your trick for getting the fall color in your Hornbeam? The leaves on mine just turn brown and fall off without turning colors.

Lots of fertilizer in Sept. This is when it goes thru its second spring and it takes up a lot of fertilizer during that 50 days. Then when the temps fall to the 50's for weeks at a time I set the tree in the middle of the lawn so its gets the full brunt of cold air on it. No other trees to cause wind shears, no shade cloth, no distracting yard trees.

Just cold air naked to the branches. Takes about two weeks to get the feel. I do the same with my big trident, but this year I didn't bother with a nice shot because I had all the squirrell damage to the nebari and I was in to the tree as far as saving the base rather than saving the canopy for a good fall shot. I took this while I typed the last.

Edit: looks kinda funny to have a large begonia with that good of blossoms on Nov. 13.

Attachments

• DSC_00770001.jpg
    DSC_00770001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ed

No it didn't hiccup at all taking the root off. I take roots off like that all the time with tridents, elms and hornbeam. Just cut them off right when the leaves are unrolling in the spring. maybe day three after they pop. I cut off roots like that up to 3/8 inch across with no problems. The tree is pushing so hard right then it doesn't even know you did it. Within about two weeks there will be many roots pushing right below that area. I mention those three plants only because those are trees that thrive well for me where I live, my soil and my fertlizer programs. Your milage will vary.

That tree went on to recieve a ground layer a year later anyway as the roots on inspection the next year was a huge claw. No way it would ever fit into a shohin pots like it was.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, good old film. Such a texture it had...

Anyways, thats some nice tricks for fall color in your area. I love provenance, it adds something.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
No it didn't hiccup at all taking the root off. I take roots off like that all the time with tridents, elms and hornbeam. Just cut them off right when the leaves are unrolling in the spring. maybe day three after they pop. I cut off roots like that up to 3/8 inch across with no problems. The tree is pushing so hard right then it doesn't even know you did it. Within about two weeks there will be many roots pushing right below that area. I mention those three plants only because those are trees that thrive well for me where I live, my soil and my fertlizer programs. Your milage will vary.

That tree went on to recieve a ground layer a year later anyway as the roots on inspection the next year was a huge claw. No way it would ever fit into a shohin pots like it was.

Nice Al! I too like the pot with this tree, matches great. And that's really good trunk girth dev. in 10 yrs, I would've thought it'd take longer than that.

And regard. that cut off root. What if there were no other roots there/poor nebari. How would you go about fixing the gap in the nebari?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ahh so this is how I should make my KH into a shohin. Thanks Al, it's looking very nice.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Al! I too like the pot with this tree, matches great. And that's really good trunk girth dev. in 10 yrs, I would've thought it'd take longer than that.

And regard. that cut off root. What if there were no other roots there/poor nebari. How would you go about fixing the gap in the nebari?

Like I did by ground layering it the next year on inspection of the roots. It was a huge claw and it would never work for shohin so I made a whole new business end.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Like I did by ground layering it the next year on inspection of the roots. It was a huge claw and it would never work for shohin so I made a whole new business end.

I've not read much on how to do a ground layer other than sphagnum moss over exposed cambium. I've tried this twice to a Bald Cypress and they both failed. Have you posted elsewhere about your preferred method for a ground layer?
Thanks Al.
Chris

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've not read much on how to do a ground layer other than sphagnum moss over exposed cambium. I've tried this twice to a Bald Cypress and they both failed. Have you posted elsewhere about your preferred method for a ground layer?
Thanks Al.
Chris

They are all over this place, mixed into many threads.

I can show two I did that were similer to what I did to this tree. I don't have the pictures of the process I did to this tree as they are lost forever. The bases looked much the same, and the process for the layer was the same. Total exposure of the cambium on every single root!

Attachments

• DSC_00122.JPG
    DSC_00122.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_00133.JPG
    DSC_00133.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_00111.JPG
    DSC_00111.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_00155.JPG
    DSC_00155.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 114

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This process was done to a maple with a big base that needed to be scaled back for a pot.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 113
Reaction score
Don't know a damn thing about hornbeams, but the fall colors
Of your tree are very nice...
Thanks for posting !

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The leaves on mine just turn brown and fall off without turning colors.

There are two species of Korean Hornbeam. Genetically, I've read there's a movement to consolidate the two (if they haven't already), but one distinction people have noted are that Carpinus turczaninowii typically has worse fall color than Carpinus coreana.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are two species of Korean Hornbeam. Genetically, I've read there's a movement to consolidate the two (if they haven't already), but one distinction people have noted are that Carpinus turczaninowii typically has worse fall color than Carpinus coreana.

Interesting, this is a Turc.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought two sets of Korean hornbeam seedlings this past spring, from 2 vendors. One group was labeled C. coreana, the other C. turc. The fall colors on the two sets were very different...the C. turc. was bright yellow, a lot like the tree in this thread. The C. coreana were a red/orange.

Top Bottom