Shohin Literati Juniper Chinensis

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like what you have done to this little tree a lot - especially the most recent pruning. It makes me want to work on one of this style.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M Sorry to ask, but I've been wary of using lead weights IN the pot since lead can be bad for the trees?
It's a genuine question, I need the weights it but I've been avoiding them.
Use tungsten.

Or, like @just.wing.it , use gold bars. They’ll do in a pinch.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I am not advocating Naka’s nails technique. No one knows if the trees absorbed any iron or whether the rust just washed out of the pot.

My point was simply that the nails “disappeared”, so using them for ballast is not a good long term solution.
I did not take it as you advocating. Was just throwing loose thoughts around. I have a feeling most if not all washed out.

I like your development of this little tree, it's interesting.
Thanks Judy. Seeing the caliber of your trees, that means a lot.

@Adair M Sorry to ask, but I've been wary of using lead weights IN the pot since lead can be bad for the trees?
It's a genuine question, I need the weights it but I've been avoiding them.
I was also wondering about that in addition to wondering about some lead draining out the pot into the garden and bioaccumulation/biomagnification etc.
@Adair M ....... a mame for your thoughts.

Here it is with branches bent basking in the sun. Will try get a clearer photo tonight.
Basking.jpg

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I apologize if I missed mentioning of this, but is the wire at the base for dealing with the exposed roots(pulling them in close to the trunk) or as an anchor securing the tree in the pot?

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I apologize if I missed mentioning of this, but is the wire at the base for dealing with the exposed roots(pulling them in close to the trunk) or as an anchor securing the tree in the pot?
The wire you can see is there to do exactly what you mentioned. It is holding the wayward root closer to the trunk in the hopes it grows and thickens there. On the next repot in about 2 years time I will see what has happened.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
After shopping this weekend I found a pot I think will work well.
What I love about this vendor, third time I have bought pots from him, is he always wants to see a pic of the tree before he just sells the pot. He loves a good chat about the tree and pot combo. I liked the blue accent and wanted to try it.
DSC00624.JPGDSC00626.JPGDSC00631.JPGDSC00634.JPGDSC00650.JPGDSC00651.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice movement but still have problem of straight section lower trunk. Needs bent for sake of whole tree quality. New pot above not your friend. Narrow base/3 legs makes pot unstable unless tree very small/well balanced;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That tree is going to need a larger gold bar to keep it steady in the pot!

Top Bottom