Shohin Mugo Pine Cascade

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Found some good mugo pine stock that I thought might have some potential. This is the first styling. It was done over a 2 day period. The tree is about 10 inches from apex to the bottom of the cascade. The trunk is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. A great little tree. I'll leave it in the pot it came in for about 2 years. Then, maybe it will go in a crescent moon rock pot, if and when it's ready.

Pics 1 and 2 are the tree as purchased, then the styled tree. All comments welcome..

Vance, I would like some feed back from you...

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 005.jpg
    pictures2 005.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 194
  • pictures2 009.jpg
    pictures2 009.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 166
  • pictures2 033.jpg
    pictures2 033.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 164
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 188
  • pictures2 069.jpg
    pictures2 069.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 191

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like another good one Rob, are thses new as in just gotten?NEBGS? Might try a road trip down this weekend see whats laying around.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahh, thank you for clarifying :)

And also, this tree is beautiful. You did a great job styling it. Would you usually keep that flaky bark, or peel it off? Is it even flaky, or is that just appearance from the picture?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ahh, thank you for clarifying :)

And also, this tree is beautiful. You did a great job styling it. Would you usually keep that flaky bark, or peel it off? Is it even flaky, or is that just appearance from the picture?

If Rob peels away that old bark, he's officially off my xmas card list;).

Seriously, unlike other conifers like junipers and yews, the old, plated bark of pines is generally not removed. Rob, nice tree and styling. I miss NEBG!! Hopefully, I'll be able to swing by there while on vacation in a few weeks.

Dave

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Dang, wish I could have a Father's Day trip to someplace like that! Lessee, how many days do I have to drop hints ...?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello and thank you axxonn... Most of it is flaky, some is smooth. I will keep all the flakiness.. However, in one small spot, there is some flaky bark missing.. Not really a big deal though

Hi Dave.. Since I am still on the Christmas list for leaving the bark... Will you be sending me some pics of trees that I can chose from:D.. Don't worry about wrapping them. Speaking of nice trees.. How is that awesome yew of yours doing? I don't think I have heard or seen pics in almost 2 years..

Hi treebeard55..Thank you and keep dropping the hint.. I recommend that people go there within the next month or so... Not only are there tons and tons of trees there..but there are a ton of new trees and the Sumemr sell down is going on.. The sell down tables are going up to 50% off.

Here is a virt of it in the pot I would like to put it in in 2 years..

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of pictures2 033.jpg
    Copy of Copy of pictures2 033.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 80

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice job Rob! Is that a DaSu pot in your virt?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you Dave and october. I didn't know whether or not people treated flakey bark the same on pines as they do on junipers -- and I still don't think that smooth look is so great on junipers either. It makes sense why you'd want to keep it the way it is to give the tree more character.

I really love the way that virt looks, but do you think a more rugged looking pot would suit it better? I wish I could provide an example...maybe give me a day or two to search for something ;)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello and thank you Brian...I don't think so. It is actually the pot that my San Jose juniper is in. I virted out the juniper and put in the pine. I purchased it at the nursery last year. It is just a regular rock pot. I don't know where the nursery got it or who made it.

Hello axxonn...I don't know. Although I am planning on the rock pot, I might change my mind. I will need to go through other pots and will decide which one looks best. I have at least 1-2 years before I need to decide...Also, I kind of agree with you about the junipers. I really think some look better with the flaky rough bark. I guess it depends on the tree.

Rob

Top Bottom