Shohin Nana #1 (my first tree)

HamburgerTrain

Yamadori
Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I did this in an afternoon outdoors with a really patient instructor I found from the BSOP site. He did a lot of the heavy lifting, I thought he was going to shoot me after I told him the top part of the tree we just got done wiring and styling should be removed.
Instead he got really excited and we stripped it, rewired and turned it into a flamboyant jin.
For what I paid for the afternoon I couldn't have gone out and bought a piece of starter material this nice, and I got to learn some really cool techniques.
If anyone cares to share any opinions I appreciate the input. I posted this here in hopes that I could learn something from the community. The first photo shows where the tree is marked as the front.
love-ham
IMG_3022.JPGIMG_3018.JPGIMG_3019.JPGIMG_3020.JPGIMG_3021.JPG

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seems to have had a good bit of work to it. After its done recovering, I would start working on individual branch depth.

coachspinks

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Am I the only one who feels like it will be dead by spring?
Since it does not seem like the roots were touched it may have a shot. I've done a lot to young junipers and as long as I didn't do roots and foliage at the same time, I have been ok. Aren't Portland winters fairly mild?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since it does not seem like the roots were touched it may have a shot. I've done a lot to young junipers and as long as I didn't do roots and foliage at the same time, I have been ok. Aren't Portland winters fairly mild?

Yeah I've beat the hell out of young junipers, too, but dang...

Wires_Guy_wires

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels like it will be dead by spring?
I have the same feeling. But then again, some junipers can take an awful lot.
I'm staging bark-stripping myself just because I want to be cautious. I've killed junipers with less damage, I've recovered junipers with more damage.

You never know until you know.