Shohin Nire Elm 2013NE001

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've done well with this tree, it's going in the right direction. Just remember that you may have to recut again to retain proper taper throughout the length of the branchs. Seems like a lot of people unused to small trees, don't think down to that scale. Look at Morton Albek's trees, and you will see that proper taper in that scale is just as important.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree looks good in it's new pot Paradox, i like the pairing. Check the bottom to see if it has an Iker stamp to find out if it is indeed an Iker. If this is from our club guy it very well could be because I know he had several for sale in the past.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like your tree, and I like the new pot (looks like Iker to me too), but I don't like them together. I think you need a more dainty pot to match the fine texture of your elm. The walls of this pot are too thick and the feet too large/prominent, and I think it's a bit too big in both width and depth. In my opinion, this pot overpowers the tree. But it is perfectly suitable for a training pot.

Sorry just had to get that dissenting vote out there.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow... I missed the last few posts for some reason.

Here is an update with it all leafed out.

The new branch is coming along fine.

Stan, when I repotted this in May, I wouldnt have wanted to go with a smaller pot because I would not want to cut back the root mass any more than I did. If I go with a smaller pot, Id imagine that I would also have to reduce the top quite a bit. I really dont want to do that.

I am also afraid a smaller pot would also require more frequent watering. Right now it gets watered almost every day, sometimes every other day. Since I work for a living, putting it in a pot that would require more than one watering a day would be difficult.

Attachments

• 2013NE001_2014a_small.jpg
    2013NE001_2014a_small.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 77

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow... I missed the last few posts for some reason.

Here is an update with it all leafed out.

The new branch is coming along fine.

Stan, when I repotted this in May, I wouldnt have wanted to go with a smaller pot because I would not want to cut back the root mass any more than I did. If I go with a smaller pot, Id imagine that I would also have to reduce the top quite a bit. I really dont want to do that.

I am also afraid a smaller pot would also require more frequent watering. Right now it gets watered almost every day, sometimes every other day. Since I work for a living, putting it in a pot that would require more than one watering a day would be difficult.

Thanks for the update, it's certainly looking good.

On my previous comment about the smaller pot: I think you'd be surprised how tolerant elms are of dryish soil, especially if you don't spoil them in the spring by overwatering (and creating lots of fat, white roots). Elms can absorb water through their leaves better than most other plants, so you can get away with alternating misting and watering every other day in the spring, just be sure to use an anti-fungal (not copper). Then in summer, be sure to moss the soil, and you'll be fine, having to water once daily. In fact, look at how much smaller last years leaves are than this years. The difference could be several things (watering, fertilizer, root run, sun), but most of them would be affected by a smaller pot. On reducing the root ball, you're right in that it should be done slowly, especially if you have that typical one large root system. But I would still love to see this tree in a slightly smaller and much daintier pot.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes I have been feeding it this year and I think the tree is overall healthier than last year. Dont get me wrong, it wasnt sick or anything last year, it just is more vigorous this year.
I had to keep on top of trimming the first half of the summer because it was really growing which I think is a good thing (to a point of course).

Yes the leaves are a bit bigger, and there are more of them this year but I dont think that is bad either.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just an update for those that asked.

Yes it is an Iker pot.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You've done well with this tree, it's going in the right direction. Just remember that you may have to recut again to retain proper taper throughout the length of the branchs. Seems like a lot of people unused to small trees, don't think down to that scale. Look at Morton Albek's trees, and you will see that proper taper in that scale is just as important.

I noticed that Morten uses bonsai soil as a drainage layer, and potting soil as his medium for these small trees. Makes sense, since the pot is so small, and bonsai soil would dry out so fast.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Stan, thanks for another great horticultural nugget. You are a gold mine of usable info :)
(Post #26)

Top Bottom