Shohin pine stock

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Purchased a couple small pines to work on. I have always wanted a small powerfull pine to use on the top of a shohin rack in a display. I have to use a juniper since that is what I have. I have wanted one of these small trees for sometime, and they come up for sale often and they are fairly reasonable in the 600 to 700 dollar range. While these are nice, I wish to style my own and detail it myself.

This is what I have started with.

First one. This pine is about 9 inches tall but will finish out at about 7". The trunk is 1.5 inches across at the base and the nebari on this one is exceptional for a small pine. I think that base will add some real age to the tree as I move forward. Good movement in the trunk.

$50.00 cheap!

Attachments

• DSC_00160003.JPG
    DSC_00160003.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_00150002.JPG
    DSC_00150002.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC_00170004.JPG
    DSC_00170004.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 238

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is a little more skinny. About 1 inch across at the base and still has sacrifice on top. Good movement in the base, branches are good to work with and the buds are popping at all branch cuts.

This tree too will finish at about 7 to 8 inches and should be fun to work with. This nebari will need some minor work in spring to correct, but not impossible.

$50.00 cheap!

Attachments

• DSC_00190006.JPG
    DSC_00190006.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_00180005.JPG
    DSC_00180005.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_00210008.JPG
    DSC_00210008.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_00220009.JPG
    DSC_00220009.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_00240011.JPG
    DSC_00240011.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thats a helluva steal for the price
nice junk in that TRUNK.
p

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'll bet you $50 I can guess where you got them, nice pines

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd have to agree with buddhamonk but I have not seen that nice of stock for that cheap in his ebay store. Nice find, Smoke.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea but lets not tell.

Right. The vendor in question would be happy to hear that you are looking out for his best interest... a true friend, that is. Remember: publicity is a merchant's worst enemy. Anonimity is, what they are striving for.
Anyway, I agree with you that bonsai stock vendors should not be spoiled by too many customers..or else they may lower their prices too much. :D

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right. The vendor in question would be happy to hear that you are looking out for his best interest... a true friend, that is. Remember: publicity is a merchant's worst enemy. Anonimity is, what they are striving for.
Anyway, I agree with you that bonsai stock vendors should not be spoiled by too many customers..or else they may lower their prices too much. :D

Thanks for taking me to task Attila. I find it refreshing that everyone here must stick their nose into other peoples business. I have been going to Muranaka for 26 years. I have known Kanemi Muranaka for that long and his late wife used to take my wife and I into their home for tea and snacks when we came to the coast for a visit.

I have known George for as long as he has been running the nursery after his father retired. The relationship I have with Kanemi and his son George is on a very personal level. We have been friends for a long time.

What I get material for and what the rest of the bonsai world gets material for are two different things. So yes, I was protecting the interest of a friend with a little anonimity. Being a true friend I though that maybe the best thing would be not broadcasting that I made a great deal, and everyone should call George and ask for the same deal. Does this make sense.

In hind sight maybe posting "my" price was a stupid idea and had I known that revealing sources would be such a game, I would have just shut up and worked in my back yard free from this kind of grief.

A picture of Kanemi and I in 1986. You will note that I have brown hair, and only a slight bump in the belt area. Kanemi looks like a karati kid stud here.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 263
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 252

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some shots for yenling.

Since you have been to the nursery it will be of note that Kanemi's house is not in these shots as well as the space between field grown material.

Now plants are about 10 inches apart while in some of these shots material was planted 4 feet apart.

Those Toralusa's in the pictures sold for 450.00 a piece and those bushy lumps in the left forground in one shot (pic 1.) was Kanemi's first experiments with Ume.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 205
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 206
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 207
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 195

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for taking me to task Attila. I find it refreshing that everyone here must stick their nose into other peoples business.

Hey Al, my post wasn't meant to be mean spirited.
But somehow I knew that the shit would hit the fan, so I chuckled and posted it anyway. Just for fun.

By the way, I know that you are a generous guy, not the petty type, so my post was more like a teaser, than a serious one.

BUT, it looks funny when somebody posts a tree, for the whole world to be seen, and then he wants to keep the source secret. If you REALLY want it to be secret, why post it at all?

Anyway, no need to be defensive, I was just pointing out the irony of it. I know that you are always willing to share your knowledge.
Best wishes,

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al, my post wasn't meant to be mean spirited.
But somehow I knew that the shit would hit the fan, so I chuckled and posted it anyway. Just for fun.

By the way, I know that you are a generous guy, not the petty type, so my post was more like a teaser, than a serious one.

BUT, it looks funny when somebody posts a tree, for the whole world to be seen, and then he wants to keep the source secret. If you REALLY want it to be secret, why post it at all?

Anyway, no need to be defensive, I was just pointing out the irony of it. I know that you are always willing to share your knowledge.
Best wishes,

Right.......My thread was not about a source. It was about two pines....period!

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...had I known that revealing sources would be such a game, I would have just shut up and worked in my back yard free from this kind of grief.

Now I feel bad myself, I had no intention of causing any grief. I have no ill will towards my neighbour's goat, and was just faking envy, for fun.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have anything else to add about the source or price paid? Keeping this a pissing match will keep it near the top anyway.

have fun...and good trees..if anyone works on any anymore.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have anything else to add about the source or price paid? Keeping this a pissing match will keep it near the top anyway.

Warning: this is bonsai related:

What's your plan with the area where the trunk was chopped? Try to re-grow the new leader, using a tapered carving, so that eventually the bark will heal over? Or just create a large jin/shari, with the intention of keeping it exposed? I am referring to the first tree.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score

Yeah ya got screwed, I buy crap like that for 15 bucks with a toko pot.

keep it green,
Harry

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Warning: this is bonsai related:

What's your plan with the area where the trunk was chopped? Try to re-grow the new leader, using a tapered carving, so that eventually the bark will heal over? Or just create a large jin/shari, with the intention of keeping it exposed? I am referring to the first tree.

Good question...I got this one from George a year or two ago...think it was $10-$12:D and I'll be very curious to see how you deal with the trunk chop.

Attachments

• Mikawa BP Muranaka (5).jpg
    Mikawa BP Muranaka (5).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 180
Top Bottom