Shohin Pinus Mugo

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might you share Bill's words? I'm sure we could all learn from this.

ovation22 and ireneb,

Bill did an excellent job judging our show, he took the time to offer a critique on each and every tree there, some encouraging, some brutally honest, he did no sugar coating, which is exactly how it should be done, in my opinion. The cartoon ficus I posted on this forum received a brief but honest critique from him...he looked at the ficus, lifted the pot up and after seeing it was a Tokoname, he simply said, "The pot is better than the tree" and moved on. I respect him for that.

As to the mugo, he said (and I paraphrase) it was an excellent pot/tree combo, it did not need a stone at all, lose it, it needed trimming, and had good potensial...

He really seemed to like the semi cascade ficus I have posted here also, left it with a blue ribbon, isn't it funny how the trees you thought were not that good yet are the ones that stand out to others?

All in all I was happy with all his critiques of the six trees I showed and learned a lot from him from them as well as from the excellent slide show/lecture and workshops he gave. If you ever have the chance to see Bill, don't pass it up, his knowledge of traditional bonsai and design is vast and his accomplishments as well as his results speak loudly.

Will

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cartoon ficus I posted on this forum received a brief but honest critique from him...he looked at the ficus, lifted the pot up and after seeing it was a Tokoname, he simply said, "The pot is better than the tree" and moved on.

As to the mugo, he said (and I paraphrase) it was an excellent pot/tree combo, it did not need a stone at all, lose it, it needed trimming, and had good potensial...

Will

Am I reading this correctly, you exhibited both of those trees you posted here?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Thank You Will for posting on not just the Mugo but on the others as well.
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, it's obvious to me that the semi-cascade ficus is your best tree posted so far, so in that I concur with Bill.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My best tree? What I consider my best trees are still in development, I have been at this for a very short time, some of my work needs time to catch up, as I have yet to purchase pre-bonsai, my trees are from rough stock. Not that there is anything wrong with checkbooksai, someday I will purchase some myself, but for now I am learning the most by developing my own bonsai from scratch.

You have been in bonsai for many years and have studied under one of the great masters of our time, what would you personally consider to be your best tree that shows the results of the time and training you have had? Just curious, no hidden agenda.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's no doubt the exposed root JBP I posted. Funny thing is, I had this tree before I met Boon, and it's still not all it should be, but it is becoming all it can be. I've been doing this for about ten years, but just floundering here in the heat until I met Boon. So seriously studying for more like 4.

We lost trees due to the move, one just got weaker and weaker and died on me. Sometimes these things happen.

Top Bottom