Shohin Portulacaria Afra broom

Kenneth

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi!
Got myself a Portulacaria afra last november.
20191119_225319-01.jpeg

Just defoliated it today in hopes of more backbuds.
I know it has bar branches and not ideal but all the branches that come out of the trunk are bar branched. Still has pretty bad nebari but heres hoping to roots growing where i need them
20200426_011129.jpg

Will use this thread to document progress in future.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bar branches are not "a Fatal Flaw", in some species, like Portulacaria afra, they are often accepted as normal. When the trunk is really fat, the trunk itself puts a distance between the bar branches, and often that separation is enough that the issue is not a problem. Your tree is broom style. You need some of those bar branches. I would not change it right now.

Kenneth

Seedling
Reaction score
Bar branches are not "a Fatal Flaw", in some species, like Portulacaria afra, they are often accepted as normal. When the trunk is really fat, the trunk itself puts a distance between the bar branches, and often that separation is enough that the issue is not a problem. Your tree is broom style. You need some of those bar branches. I would not change it right now.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just let it be until it becomes a problem if it ever becomes a problem.

Kenneth

Seedling
Reaction score
Great strength in a small tree , i love it !
Maybe just a little larger pot could be visually a good option .

Yeah definitely agree with you, sadly i dont have one which is just slightly larger. Thinking a nice blue or white oval would be lovely.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah definitely agree with you, sadly i dont have one which is just slightly larger. Thinking a nice blue or white oval would be lovely.

Consider something that is a little more masculine than your standard glossy white or blue. I agree a circular or oval shape is the best direction, but you have a chunky, rough tree that IMHO would contrast too greatly with a smooth glaze. Perhaps something with an off-white or crackle texture?

pot.jpg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi!
Got myself a Portulacaria afra last november.
View attachment 298368

Just defoliated it today in hopes of more backbuds.
I know it has bar branches and not ideal but all the branches that come out of the trunk are bar branched. Still has pretty bad nebari but heres hoping to roots growing where i need them
View attachment 298369

Will use this thread to document progress in future.
Very nice tree. The nebari will start forming quicker than you think. This one was straight like yours and started forming in the last year.

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_095848.jpg
    IMG_20200506_095848.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200506_095818.jpg
    IMG_20200506_095818.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 90

lomar

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice tree!!
im new to the forum! some one has any problem with dead trunk bark or rooting trunk with afras? the rest of the tree seems fine i have a 3 of my older ones with this problem and cant find anything online about it! this picture is a few months ago it's getting worse. any help please!
thanks.

Attachments

• afra.JPG
    afra.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 84

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree!!
im new to the forum! some one has any problem with dead trunk bark or rooting trunk with afras? the rest of the tree seems fine i have a 3 of my older ones with this problem and cant find anything online about it! this picture is a few months ago it's getting worse. any help please!
thanks.
That's kinda unusual. Bark is supposed to be smooth like the top on yours. I've never seen that. Almost like something has eaten it...?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice tree!!
thanks.

could be a Cork bark variety, starting to cork up.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
image.jpg
Sometimes “non” cork variety P.Afra will develop a rough cork like texture.

Generally the “cork” type have pretty aggressive corking. I think @bonsainut had a frank yee corky (maybe still does)

lomar

Seedling
Reaction score
thank you for your inputs! yes i though it was cork , but it is drying and droping one or 2 branches. on one tree tree its half way through the trunk! it seems to keep groing! what could be eating it? dont see any bugs!
i'll post other pics thay are better than discribing it

lomar

Seedling
Reaction score
I took these yesterday! Here is another, the second dropped the apex and a branch where the scar is! Thank for the help

Attachments

• 231F255C-D3C2-42C5-95A3-2C484EFBB55D.jpeg
    231F255C-D3C2-42C5-95A3-2C484EFBB55D.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 66
  • FB328680-7677-407D-B7B0-34CFF663A01C.jpeg
    FB328680-7677-407D-B7B0-34CFF663A01C.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 9A77FEC7-69EC-4075-B1C7-801AA3BF0113.jpeg
    9A77FEC7-69EC-4075-B1C7-801AA3BF0113.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 47

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry mate, I wish I could help but i've never seen that on any of my Portulcarias.
Shot in the dark...maybe mice? :oops:
I know the leaves are edible. Humans eat it..hell i've eaten it. Some animal might've taken a liking to the bark...?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My squirrel tastes look like that, only yours seem more than tastes, tastes good!

Sorce

lomar

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry mate, I wish I could help but i've never seen that on any of my Portulcarias.
Shot in the dark...maybe mice? :oops:
I know the leaves are edible. Humans eat it..hell i've eaten it. Some animal might've taken a liking to the bark...?
well, those scars didn't appear like that! they started out like flakes, rotting spots that i peeled off. it looked like bark at first, i thought that maybe a insect o bug was eating it! thanks for answering. yes i also tried the leaves my self! they are not bad!

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well, those scars didn't appear like that! they started out like flakes, rotting spots that i peeled off. it looked like bark at first, i thought that maybe a insect o bug was eating it! thanks for answering. yes i also tried the leaves my self! they are not bad!
Ah I see...you peeled it. You sure it was rotting bark? Must be a cork bark then.
Nah mate this tree aren't bothered by pests much. If it's happy and getting enough sun, it's almost bullet proof against pests.
Another thing, more friendly than non friendly bugs uses the bark as hiding...and playing place 👍
Don't peel it ;)

Top Bottom