Shohin pots on a midi pottery wheel

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That two tone purple looks very royal blue/purple to me, really love the glaze on the first one.
I am pretty familiar with that glaze. It can go from deep blue to purple depending upon a slight difference in temperature and kiln placement.
It is always beautiful regardless of color and it is pretty unique in a purple glaze in that the finish is mat. The other purple glazes I have used are always glossy and I prefer mat in most instances.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's the lighting. It's best to take pics under direct sunlight but it's been raining here, and I'm strapped for time.
I had forgotten about the way that glaze looks under different lighting. I sold one online and it photographic more blue and was more purple in hand. Still, my above comments hold true on this glaze in my experience.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am pretty familiar with that glaze. It can go from deep blue to purple depending upon a slight difference in temperature and kiln placement.
It is always beautiful regardless of color and it is pretty unique in a purple glaze in that the finish is mat. The other purple glazes I have used are always glossy and I prefer mat in most instances.
Yes, @Carol 83 has a pot with that same glaze and looks very different. Same glaze, same kiln, fired to the same cone, just different location in the kiln has made the difference we see.

I've tracked my kiln is about 1/2 a cone cooler on the topside compared to the bottom.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 this is the same glaze on the one you have. The pot was in a different location in the kiln, such a dramatic difference. This is a pretty cool glaze.
It is different for sure. Quit making purple pots until about February.
The other purple glazes I have used are always glossy and I prefer mat in most instances.
Girls like glossy.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is different for sure. Quit making purple pots until about February.
This entire batch was white stoneware. I'm going to start another batch using beige stoneware, then brown, then porcelain. I have some purple glazes that will look good on the beige stoneware as well, lol.

Top Bottom