EIJITSU ROSE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a dwarf rose that was imported by Mirai from Japan. It is estimated to be anywhere between 60 and 100 years old. The bark is flaky and highly textured which gives the tree great character and age. It was just repotted and cut back drastically as roses do need this in order to reinvigorate them and continue to produce flowers year after year.

This rose stands 7" tall from soil level and planted in a round Koyo pot. Notice the swelling buds.

Last fall.

The single-petalled flowers are small and prolific in summer. Bees love it!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I really like that. What is the maintenance regime for these - cut back hard in spring then allow free growth all year? Any pruning at other times?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice addition. I would love to find a rose with a decent trunk and single white or pink/red flowers (plus hips would be nice). We have some that almost fit the bill growing
wild on our property but they have horrible thorns. This one almost looks thornless? Or did they prune off the thorns?

BTW, nice comments about you near the end of the latest Mirai podcast (the one about "The Trophy"). Apparently Ryan is a fan of your work with deciduous trees.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's gorgeous, but it isn't Rosa banksiae. That species has different flower size, shape, color, and bloom time. Rose identification is arcane since there has been selection and hybridization for probably a thousand years. However R. banksiae is one of the few non-hybrids, and it retains the flower characteristics of its wild ancestors.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have 4 or so miniature hybrid roses in various stages of growth. They all are too young to produce ''wood'' yet. Most miniature roses sold are rooted cuttings, growing on their own roots. Most garden centers selling the larger rose types, hybrid teas, floribunda, climbing roses are grafted onto one understock or another. The understock is usually a wild type rose that blooms only once per year, late spring.

When buying a rose for bonsai there are a handful of nurseries, usually mail order only that sell the other types as own root roses. These are better for bonsai.

Shrub type roses more often than not are on their own roots.

Best types of roses for bonsai are probably the miniatures, especially for kusamono, the floribundas, and the shrub rose types. Pay attention to comments about disease resistance. Some hybrid teas in particular are very prone to leaf diseases, powdery mildew can be lethal. Black leaf spot is another big issue. The shrub types tend to be more resistant.

Depending what you want, be sure to note whether the rose is continuous, repeat or once blooming. The species types tend to bloom only once per year. Also note fragrance. To my mind, a rose that does not smell like a rose is not worth growing.

DSCN2754.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love roses as bonsai when done well. This one is very nice and interesting.

The flower reminds me wild roses growing here. Flowers are this simple, colours vary from white to pink... Dog rose or Rosa canina.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Rambling Rose was the first Grateful Dead song I ever heard.....it was just was beautiful as this cool little tree!

I'm not used to see smaller sized trees from you M5!
This ones pretty!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really like that. What is the maintenance regime for these - cut back hard in spring then allow free growth all year? Any pruning at other times?

Tom, suckers do sprout occasionally and those need to be cut off as they sap too much energy from the rest of the plant. These vigorous suckers I've noticed don't flower either. I prune to shape at end of season but early spring is a great time as well. In the growing season I let the rose grow unchecked to encourage profuse flowering.

Hard pruning once a year when the plant is dormant is critical to rejuvenate it specially old ones.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Tom, suckers do sprout occasionally and those need to be cut off as they sap too much energy from the rest of the plant. These vigorous suckers I've noticed don't flower either. I prune to shape at end of season but early spring is a great time as well. In the growing season I let the rose grow unchecked to encourage profuse flowering.

Hard pruning once a year when the plant is dormant is critical to rejuvenate it specially old ones.
Thanks! I collected a little wild rose this year so tips like this are really useful.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ryan did a live stream repotting and trimming this rambling rose along with a Binan-Kadsura that was PRETTY SWEET as well.

NICE purchase Sergio!

Yep that's when I first laid eyes on it and fell in love with it. I know the guy that bought the Kadsura. Really nice tree and quite rare!

Top Bottom