Shohin RMJ

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This material was originally part of a larger tree that was collected by Andy Smith. It was a low branch that had air layered itself naturally. When it was repotted a couple of years ago, I separated it from the parent tree. It grew well on its own after being cut off. Ultimately I wanted to create a piece of shohin out of this material. It is rather unsual to see collected RMJs at this size. Below is the first styling for what I think will be a charming little tree specially once it goes into a pot.

Original material as it looked before the styling work.

After the styling work.

D

Deleted member 21616

that's a weird looking maple!

@barrosinc maybe he sold them all?

jokes aside, that's a really nice transformation already, looks promising!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we have an update on this one??
22 minutes is a lot of time.
I think he sold it already ;)

Seriously, beautiful work Sergio. Maybe I can hire you for a day when you make your next trip to ROC!

BTW, have you done anything yet with that Hinoki (from the National) or are you going to wait?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think he sold it already ;)

Seriously, beautiful work Sergio. Maybe I can hire you for a day when you make your next trip to ROC!

BTW, have you done anything yet with that Hinoki (from the National) or are you going to wait?

Thanks Chris. I am waiting on that hinoki. Currently working on another one from Mark.

I have been thinking about going up to ROC to take another class with Bill. If that happens we can try and coordinate.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again, your vision and how you can bring it forth is amazing especially that piece of material. Your threads are always a joy to open. Never disappoint!
Yeah, it's threads like this that keep me coming back even when it seems (sometimes) like this place isn't worth the trouble.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Again, your vision and how you can bring it forth is amazing especially that piece of material. Your threads are always a joy to open. Never disappoint!

Thanks Darlene! There is a famous quote from John Naka that says you should not work on your tree but rather let the tree work on you.

I did not have a clue of what I wanted out of this tree (other than make a shohin) until it guided me into it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, it's threads like this that keep me coming back even when it seems (sometimes) like this place isn't worth the trouble.
Well, for sure ones like him and a good handful of others make it perks coming here. But we all are on a journey. So I don't mind the variety. I also use the ignore, for my own peace. for those who...when we get together in a thread we are oil and water. To put it nicely. ??

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Darlene! There is a famous quote from John Naka that says you should not work on your tree but rather let the tree work on you.

I did not have a clue of what I wanted out of this tree (other than make a shohin) until it guided me into it.
Okay, I had to sit and digest that quote. Your priceless Sergio. Humble and very talented. Breath of fresh air you are. Thanks...for being you...and sharing it with us.

Top Bottom