Shohin Satsuki Azalea "Gumpo Pink"

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I started this one from a cutting, waiting to see where the buds form before it gets its final trim. What do you think?

John

Attachments

• DSC09040-1.jpg
    DSC09040-1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC09042-2.jpg
    DSC09042-2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What would it look like without the side branch? The trunk we can see is awfully straight.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here is what it looks like without it and what it looks like (kinda) trimmed up. Might be a possibility, what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC09040-2.jpg
    DSC09040-2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC09040-3.jpg
    DSC09040-3.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 66

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it's nice for what it is. And that is to add flowers to your bench not neccessarily to looks like an old gnarly tree in nature. The foliage seems to masximize the flower show pretty well

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Better without the branch. Thin the top a bit so branches can be seen.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually like how the triangle is formed in the first photo. The left coming up more hard of an angle than the right side. The way the right branch the foliage dips a bit making me think the branch curves a bit. I like the twin trunk. Though removing the smaller trunk...you then make the main trunk seem much more thicker. So it's a toss up.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think I will keep the branch for now, I have been toying with removing it, but something keeps pulling me back when I get ready to chop. The roots are OK for its age, but not spectacular, I plan to repot it higher this spring. Waiting to see where buds form, then I will give it a trim to make it more compact. Gumpo is not the best Satsuki for bonsai, lots of leggy upright growth, but are worth the challenge if you are willing to try.

Thanks for the comments,

John

Top Bottom