shohin satsuki

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody else's satsukis blooming yet, here is ours.
100_2075.jpg

100_2082.jpg

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, its my fathers actually. It was imported from japan. I might get one of my own for my birthday this year. The person we purchased it from has a few more.

Last edited:

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Really nice. Thats going to be a beauty for sure.
Unfortunately most of mine flowered in february when the area I kept them in got to warm. It was a beautiful display for nobody to see =-(

Try to mark the branches that hold the rare colored flowers. If you can work them into the design for the tree.

p.s. Good luck on your B-day. That will be an awesome present.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unfortunately most of mine flowered in february when the area I kept them in got to warm. It was a beautiful display for nobody to see =-(

Tim, You're bummed out because you had a beautiful display of azalea flowers in Maine in the middle of winter??? That was probably the nicest thing happening up there in the frozen wasteland this past Feb. By the way, did you see the shohin azaleas on the sale table at New England Bonsai...they were still there on Friday.

Dave

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes I did see those Dave. They look like they could be from the same grower supplying the shop Shohin Kid got his (Dad's) tree from.
I have one as well but got it full price not 50% off ACK =-)

But I am not buying anymore trees. No More. Can't get into my apartment as it is. That and I need to figure out a new winter area for some of my less hardy trees.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We got the satsuki from Dave Kreutz, who owns Satsuki Bonsai-en. He is the most knowledgeable and probably one of the best people here in the States when it comes to Satsuki.

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like he might shop at the same place New England Bonsai goes to for their Shohin Azaleas in Japan.
Do you have an Azalea book Shohin Kid?
I like Alexander Kennedy's book "Floral Treasures of Japan, The Satsuki Azaleas".

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
ahh okay this one is 1997. I didn't know there was a previous version.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chinzan blooming

Shohin Kid,

Chinzan blooming for about 2 weeks now. Pretty much peaking, maybe a little past peak. This week will be about the end of azalea bloom time here in Charlotte, especially with all the rain and thunderstorms in the forecast. That beats the flowers up pretty bad and shortens the show. I had to keep this one inside a few times to protect it. Thankfully it is pretty small.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 18

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My two new trees my birthday present for this year. The first is a chinzan clump and the second is a Hakurei. The first tree is going to be cut back to encourage back budding in two weeks. The second tree will be thinned out soon.
100_2094.jpg

100_2098.jpg

Last edited:

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shohin Kid,

Chinzan blooming for about 2 weeks now. Pretty much peaking, maybe a little past peak. This week will be about the end of azalea bloom time here in Charlotte, especially with all the rain and thunderstorms in the forecast. That beats the flowers up pretty bad and shortens the show. I had to keep this one inside a few times to protect it. Thankfully it is pretty small.
Nice chinzan azalea Martin! It looks great. From the bonsai point of view you may have let it bloom too much. From the Japanese satsuki lovers view, almost every bud should be left to open. From the looks of your pic the tree has good taper, branching, and looks like a very good tree overall. You said it was small, how tall is it?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shohin Kid,

From the base of the feet of the pot to the top of the highest flower petal is about 10.5".

It will be allowed to bloom until Saturday 5/30. Then all the remaining flowers will be removed as well as ovaries and whorled branches. I might toss a little wire on and then repot. This sort of treatment has worked well here for me with this tree. I do not remove flower buds at any other time of the year with this tree.

Saturday 5/30 is not a magical date, it is about the right time here and really just when I should have time to do what I plan on doing with this one as well as a few others that are still in training pots that need transplanting to larger pots, etc. Might dig one from the growing bed as well.

Regards,
Martin

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
It will be allowed to bloom until Saturday 5/30. Then all the remaining flowers will be removed as well as ovaries and whorled branches.

Hi Martin,

Could you (or anyone) tell me how to distinguish the ovaries on a satsuki? Are they at the base of the flower? I removed the flowers on mine when they started to fade and removed at least one new shoot from every whorl of three, usually the one facing back toward the trunk. I attached a picture of a whorl with one colored leaf(?). I have been removing these also when I see them, which is sometimes difficult because when they are green they look like all the other leaves. What are these? I think they are at the base where each flower was located.

Sorry for the picture quality, I just went outside and took it in the dusk.

Attachments

• azalea.jpg
    azalea.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 19

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ross,

That appears to be one of last years leaves.

The ovaries are basically what is left after the flower petals fade or fall off. You will see hair like stamens (I think) and then a bit of stem and then a swollen area at the base of the stem. If you pinch all of that out, you have removed the ovaries. You will be left with a few of last years leaves and probably some new partially sprouted buds of this years growth.

I am sure that there are actual proper names for all those bits and pieces and areas, but I find I cannot remember them and am too lazy to look it up.

Hope that helped.

Regards,
Martin

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Class time :)
Here is a link that explains it all.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/gpe/case4/c4facts1a.html

When the flower petal falls off you will notice a little white stigma remains. It makes it easier to find where all those flowers were.

Just follow it down and snip the little ovule off just above the Sepal. I usually pluck the sepals out while I'm there.

P.S. I had almost all the names wrong till I looked at the link. :D

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, my satsukis opened up yesterday!
Here is my Chinzan

100_2108.jpg

100_2111.jpg

Here is my Hakurei

100_2113.jpg