Shohin Shimpaku

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I bought this from a friend who is the king propagator. It is an airlayer off a massive and very nice Shimpaku juniper. The tree already has a very nice root spread already due to the air layer. (pic 1) It measures about 7" to the top right now and I plan on keeping it a nice Shohin. (pic 2)

I think the first branch on the right is really nice and has a nice curve to match the tree. I also wired it back to put more of a bend in it.
As far as the second branch and one behind it, I pulled them down with my hand to get an idea of what they might look like wired down. (pic 3)

This second branch on the left seems to be the trees biggest challenge (am I wrong?). It is also very straight but I think I can put a good downward bend in it and maybe even curve if I do is soon. (pic4)

There are also three or four other supporting branches in the back I am thinking need to go or be wired into place to add depth to the tree. One branch is visible behind the second branch (one ai pulled down in pic 3) and two are behind the main trunk just to the left and to the right. See red lines. (pic 5)

Also how big should the pot be, size etc. From that I have seen it needs to be a brown pot for a juniper?

Please help with this tree. Thanks

Attachments

• shohin shimpaku trunk.jpg
    shohin shimpaku trunk.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 94
  • shohin shimpaku front.jpg
    shohin shimpaku front.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 141
  • shohin shimpaku pull down.jpg
    shohin shimpaku pull down.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 101
  • shohin shimpaku 2nd branch.jpg
    shohin shimpaku 2nd branch.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 86
  • shohin shimpaku back side.jpg
    shohin shimpaku back side.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 77

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let me make a few suggestions...

First, visualize your trunk line. Then, plan your branches.

Branches should exit from outside of curve, never from inside. They should sweep downwards at the lower part of the trunk - never horizontal or upwards. They should alternate around the trunk - left, right, back, left, right, back (etc). Avoid having two branches directly opposite one another, or directly above one another. They should get smaller as you move up the tree - both in diameter of branch as well as quantity of foliage.

As far as the pot goes, this is an informal (feminine) design, so chose an informal pot (rounded corners, soft finish, etc). Don't make it too deep (try to make it no deeper than 2x the width of the trunk) and don't make it too small so that the tree looks unbalanced like it might blow over in strong wind.

Here is very rough vert of where I think you might want to head...

Bottom branch on right I would consider "sacrifice branch". Let it grow big to thicken the trunk, then lop it off leaving a jin.

shimpfrnt1.jpg

shimpfrnt2.jpg

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks so much for the advice and virt! I will head that direction. I know that the air layer was taken recently (I think, but could be wrong) either way, it has a ton of roots and is pretty well established in this pond basket. I Think I will repot it this spring. I plan on keeping it a shohin size.

Top Bottom