Shohin Soft Tosho gets its first styling

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like the movement of the trunk.....but to me the large branches seem to hide it?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The foliage is a bit large for such a small tree.

And, yes, too dense.

I’m planning on repotting into a smaller pot this spring, I want to have lots of foliage to make it strong for the repot.

But, eventually, thin the foliage.

This is it’s first styling.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, I’m bad about that. I might, but I’d have to search thru zillions of old photos.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The foliage is a bit large for such a small tree.

And, yes, too dense.

I’m planning on repotting into a smaller pot this spring, I want to have lots of foliage to make it strong for the repot.

But, eventually, thin the foliage.

This is it’s first styling.

Maybe I'm a bit weird but I like the swing of that left branch (from photo perspective) sweeping forward. It gives a sense of movement in contrast to the right branch. It might be a bit thick, and cover too much of the trunk, but losing the depth would be just as much of a shame as hiding the trunk movement.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love the movement in such a small package . Love this shows how one does stages. A mad dash and harsh pruning isn't always the right way. Thanks for sharing. I will be interested in seeing your final vision.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Let me ask another question..

How does this tree differs from regular tosho? (Care, maintenance and styling)
Do you treat it like a regular tosho? Does it responds the same way?

I have one of these also but information on this species is not so readily found

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let me ask another question..

How does this tree differs from regular tosho? (Care, maintenance and styling)
Do you treat it like a regular tosho? Does it responds the same way?

I have one of these also but information on this species is not so readily found
I don’t have a regular Tosho. Tosho is the exception to the “never pinch junipers” rule. Lol!!!

The regular, sharp Tosho usually have a burl deadwood section that is characteristic.

The soft Tosho, like this one, features weeping foliage.

I would say that in Japan, the regular sharp Tosho is preferred over the soft variety.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
“Soft Tosho” is Juniperus conferta, or commonly called shore juniper.

“True” Tosho is Juniperus rigida. You don’t pinch these either, you trim them between needles. Peter Tea has a good article or two on this:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
“True” Tosho is Juniperus rigida. You don’t pinch these either, you trim them between needles. Peter Tea has a good article or two on this:

I find it amusing that ''new comers'' (the wise West) think they know better than people who have been working on the subjects in question for a century or so. And with the Japanese being the masters of technique, it's even funnier. It's like a Japanese nurseryman coming here to show me how to prune Eucalyptus trees.

Top Bottom