Shohin Symposium

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any of you nuts going to rochester September 10-13 for the shohin event?
Anyone been there before. Is it worth going if you aren't enrolled in any of the programs?
Are there some areas open to the public/ public demos? Vendors? Thanks.

-Dave

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Dave,
This is a special Shohin Symposium last held 2 years ago. It features a large exhibit area and many fine vendors, both which are open to the public. They are well worth the short trip from Syracuse.
But... why miss out on so much more? A "first time" full registration with all programs, coffee breaks and Saturday lunch and Banquet is only $195!
If you can only come one day, check the schedule and come and register for that day only.
The workshops offer some really nice materials, world class instructors and choices in price range. Friday evening the Bonsai Society of Upstate New York is hosting a social with wonderful sweet and savory dishes as well as Beer, wine and soda. We will also have a Bonsai slide show running. Its FREE and you are invited! I hope you are able to attend!

Mark

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark, thanks for all the info. I remember talking at the picnic, and the trees I walked away with are doing fine. Unfortunately, my schedule as a full-time student/waiter and my monetary situation prevent me from being there except for Saturday (my birthday too, what a coincidence) I would be interested in a program, but it would depend on the material. If I had my way, I'd have a nice bonsai instead of text books, but you do what you have to and make do with what you have. Thanks again.

-Dave

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Dave,
It will be your birthday, you got to be good to yourself then!
Saturday will be a great day to come. Plan on coming early and staying late you will have a non stop day filled with Bonsai! Then, enjoy the Banquet and the Bonsai connoisseurs auction, chance to bid on some great Bonsai and related items too! Track me down when you come, I will buy you a beer at the social for your birthday.

Mark

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do people bring their own trees to these sorts of things? Perhaps to seek advice? Haven't been to to many of these things ya know.

-Dave

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The only reason I don't go is distance. Otherwise, you'd see me there. Yes, I think it's worth going to.

HA, look for a "Styling and Refinement" workshop in the schedule. That's one to which you bring your own tree for advice and guidance. A suggestion: bring something that looks good to you but has you completely mystified as to how best to style it. :confused::)

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got home, and it was a good time. Wasn't able to regiser for the program, but the exhibit was nice and I did sign up for the banquet and auction. I'm too lazy to take pictures so next year, you will just have to go. A shohin JBP sold as the highest bid to a lucky new owner for $1025.

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My girlfreind took a photo I found on her camera. Enjoy

-Dave

Attachments

• suthin display.jpg
    suthin display.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 100
  • suthin display2.jpg
    suthin display2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 91

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is one of Suthin's Hinokis and it is truly impressive in person. A picture can't capture the awesomeness of this tree. How he got such compactness is amazing---everything on that tree is green and lush--even the interior foliage. Suthin had some seriously awesome trees both in his vending booth and in the exhibit.

Suthin was also presented with an award for design excellence from the Rosade Bonsai studio.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, my girlfriend and I were the ones dressed in orange. Hopw you had a good time.

-Dave

Top Bottom