Shohin Trident

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think you should put it in a grow out pot or in the ground and let it develop the top part and thicken the branches for a couple more years, it would make a really nice shohin when its more balanced.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
I think you should put it in a grow out pot or in the ground and let it develop the top part and thicken the branches for a couple more years, it would make a really nice shohin when its more balanced.
I appreciate that but I will just develop it in the pot, it won’t take long to thicken the primary or apex.
I’ll just let a leader grow on each branch and apex then prune back

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I second this. Id overpot and let the roots run a bit. I picture a slightly taller tree with a thicker apex and that'd help heal that wound on the left plus the yellow kinda clashes with trident autumn color but just my 2 cents.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
@Chopsie , does that right side need any root grafts? It looks a little undercut in the photo
There’s a couple of roots there that just need to gain size
I second this. Id overpot and let the roots run a bit. I picture a slightly taller tree with a thicker apex and that'd help heal that wound on the left plus the yellow kinda clashes with trident autumn color but just my 2 cents.

I like the yellow pot for the trident,I appreciate you taking the time to reply

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yellow pot is definitely unique for a trident I like it that you’re going with it, I can’t wait to see what it looks like once it’s nice and full!

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
@Chopsie , does that right side need any root grafts? It looks a little undercut in the photo
Sorry I missed your comment
There’s a couple of nice roots there they just need to develop pretty much like the rest of the tree .
The area you’ve mentioned doesn’t look as drastic looking at the tree tbh, the camera picked up on it though.

Regarding development
It’s in a good sized pot and Trident grow quickly and putting it in the ground or a larger pot would have meant more scars.
I’m in no rush to develop and I’d rather have less scaring.
I’m a sucker for pots too, which doesn’t help!!
I like the yellow pot it contrasts nicely with the reds when autumn comes, but I also respect others points.

Thank you

Top Bottom