Shohin Twisted Trunk Itoigawa

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I purchased this tree a couple of years ago from Bjorn. Foliage went juvenile and I grew it out for a couple of years. On its third growing season now, it’s reverted back to mature foliage, is healthy and ready for work. Here’s the before (from the back - sorry).

E195EB30-3B69-4D66-AFD6-909EFB10ECB2.jpeg

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wired the tree last year to direct the extending growth. I removed all the old wire. Then I cleaned the foliage, created a couple of Jin’s from the leggy branches and wired the tree again. Another step on its journey. Here’s the tree after the work (from the front this time). I plan an angle change at the next repotting.

E6E7C57D-6721-429A-9B37-15E2CA386AA6.jpeg

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Shohin is a challenging part of the art. Putting a display together is hard. You need to have a lot of trees. They need to be different species. You need a variety of styles with a variety of trunk movements. There are different sizes of shohin trees.

And then you need stands - both individual stands for the trees and a display stand to group them. And you need pots. Different shapes, sizes and colors.

Hopefully I’ll get it all put together at some point, but trying gives me a great appreciation for those among us who do this well.

S

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This looks like it is going to be a really great *little* tree. Love the deadwood! Looks very natural.

Just looking at the picture, I would have guessed this tree is much larger than shohin sized. I guess that’s kinda the point! :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good! Bet it’s from the same batch as the one I bought from Bjorn in ‘14. It doesn’t back bud as well as I’d like.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Shohin is a challenging part of the art. Putting a display together is hard. You need to have a lot of trees. They need to be different species. You need a variety of styles with a variety of trunk movements. There are different sizes of shohin trees.

And then you need stands - both individual stands for the trees and a display stand to group them. And you need pots. Different shapes, sizes and colors.

Hopefully I’ll get it all put together at some point, but trying gives me a great appreciation for those among us who do this well.

S
This is all true and a cool tree! But for folks starting out, and those of us with no interest in shows, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a single shohin. Granted I’m an unlearned oaf, but I still enjoy looking at the little trees by themselves. I’ve yet to learn how to enjoy them as a group on those beautiful group stands.

Nice work. I could only dream of getting to work or own something so awesome!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is all true and a cool tree! But for folks starting out, and those of us with no interest in shows, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a single shohin. Granted I’m an unlearned oaf, but I still enjoy looking at the little trees by themselves. I’ve yet to learn how to enjoy them as a group on those beautiful group stands.

Nice work. I could only dream of getting to work or own something so awesome!

Nothing wrong at all. One of the great things about bonsai is that there is always another level as your experience, tastes, and interests grow.

S

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice piece of material @markyscott - I'm sure you will make a very good quality tree from it. Have you got ideas for what other species you'd like to add as shohin if you are wanting to expand in this direction? I don't recall any flowering trees you've shared (apologies if you have!).

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice piece of material @markyscott - I'm sure you will make a very good quality tree from it. Have you got ideas for what other species you'd like to add as shohin if you are wanting to expand in this direction? I don't recall any flowering trees you've shared (apologies if you have!).

I have three Shohin trees; a black pine in development, this juniper (in development) and a willow leaf ficus. I don’t have any flowering or deciduous trees. The other issues are that all the shohin i have are informal upright trees and two of the three move to the right. I could use a semi-cascade (i had one that died from a watering system failure) and probably a clump and a broom. I’ll probably more than one of each with movement in different directions. How many dang trees does it take to make one five tree display? Now I know how @maria kapra got to that point with the collection.

S

Top Bottom