markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
nice shohin

Why defoliate? On the other ficus post you mentioned that defoliation was not very useful ...

Hi Gustavo - good question. I don’t completely defoliate trees in development. This tree is in refinement, is very strong and I’m getting it ready for a show. I want small leaves and more twiggy shoots. It’s Ok to defoliate for this purpose.

S

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Gustavo - good question. I don’t completely defoliate trees in development. This tree is in refinement, is very strong and I’m getting it ready for a show. I want small leaves and more twiggy shoots. It’s Ok to defoliate for this purpose.

S
I see. This way you'll get al leaves at the same size for the show. Thanks for your prompt reply

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi pads. This tree was started from a cutting. They thicken and develop quickly, especially if you can keep them warm enough and give them sufficient light over the winter. As the temperature warms you’ll see more and more growth. They really start moving when daytime temperatures hit 90 (32C).

S
Thanks. We are at 80f and it is now starting to grow fast. It was kept in a small greenhouse on a heat mat during the exceptionally mild winter. It did not loose any leaves but grew slowly.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, Scott. I really appreciate seeing your progressions. Thank you for sharing your trees and your knowledge.

I didn't see any mention of this in this thread. Can you tell us what's going on here?

4DFB77DE-46DE-4332-B2E2-535C6B663425.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi, Scott. I really appreciate seeing your progressions. Thank you for sharing your trees and your knowledge.

I didn't see any mention of this in this thread. Can you tell us what's going on here?

View attachment 192808

Apical side branch. It looks a little weird from that perspective, but it works ok for now in the design. It needs to be shortened and more taper. I’ll cut it back this summer. There are interior shoots now.

TommyHallahan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really cool, I'm fairly certain I have a tiny willow leaf mall-sai and I really don't know very much about how to treat it to maximize future improvement. At this phase of its life it really just needs to be fattened a great deal, refinement is not exactly in it's near future. As far as post number 34, pads writes something to the effect of, being in a shallow pot is best.... should I put mine in as shallow of a pot as possible?
Can anyone verify whether or not this is in fact a Willow Leaf?
https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/15122518427581949756052-jpg.169328/
And finally if it is direct me 2 some research material that would help me on my way thank you

TommyHallahan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
* the photo linked in my last post is not the most current photo it has since been repotted seemingly into a lesser appropriately sized pot. I will post a new photo as soon as possible

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really cool, I'm fairly certain I have a tiny willow leaf mall-sai and I really don't know very much about how to treat it to maximize future improvement. At this phase of its life it really just needs to be fattened a great deal, refinement is not exactly in it's near future. As far as post number 34, pads writes something to the effect of, being in a shallow pot is best.... should I put mine in as shallow of a pot as possible?
Can anyone verify whether or not this is in fact a Willow Leaf?
https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/15122518427581949756052-jpg.169328/
And finally if it is direct me 2 some research material that would help me on my way thank you

Yes, that’s a willow leaf ficus. I have several threads on their development. In terms of what to do next with yours, it really depends on what your goal is in the end. But I always would recommend training in a shallow, but wide training pot for any tree.

S

Bonsai Beech

Seedling
Reaction score
Your comment that Shohin is "shorter than a Shiner" got me thinking.
I have read that a Shohin is between 2" and 6" . But from where exactly is it measured?
Soil level? or table level? What if the plant has Nebari or the soil slopes up to the plant?
Do we measure fromm the rim of thhe pot?
Any views?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Your comment that Shohin is "shorter than a Shiner" got me thinking.
I have read that a Shohin is between 2" and 6" . But from where exactly is it measured?
Soil level? or table level? What if the plant has Nebari or the soil slopes up to the plant?
Do we measure fromm the rim of thhe pot?
Any views?

Tree height is measured from soil level. People get hung up on the numbers. It really just has to look like a shohin and fit comfortably in a box stand without looking cramped. Then, to me, it IS a shohin regardless of the specific number.

I’ve run into jerkfaces in the US who go around measuring trees to make sure that they’re below whatever height they think is the cutoff for shohin. One such a-hole did that with this tree and then debated with me about whether or not it qualified as a shohin because there was a leaf sticking up over his 8” cutoff.

Scott

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree height is measured from soil level. People get hung up on the numbers. It really just has to look like a shohin and fit comfortably in a box stand without looking cramped. Then, to me, it IS a shohin regardless of the specific number.

I’ve run into jerkfaces in the US who go around measuring trees to make sure that they’re below whatever height they think is the cutoff for shohin. One such a-hole did that with this tree and then debated with me about whether or not it qualified as a shohin because there was a leaf sticking up over his 8” cutoff.

Scott
You should have given him a "shiner."

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A quick question, if I may @markyscott . I bought a little willow leaf, at the show here in April, mostly because it was a local vendor, and I thought I should buy something from them. It thrived this summer, and has grown quite bushy. It's been inside, with a southern exposure and grow lights for 3 weeks. I expected mass leaf drop, but surprisingly it is still doing fine. Would you suggest doing some thinning now? I don't usually mess with stuff too much when it's inside, just try to keep them living. Sorry to muck up your thread.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A quick question, if I may @markyscott . I bought a little willow leaf, at the show here in April, mostly because it was a local vendor, and I thought I should buy something from them. It thrived this summer, and has grown quite bushy. It's been inside, with a southern exposure and grow lights for 3 weeks. I expected mass leaf drop, but surprisingly it is still doing fine. Would you suggest doing some thinning now? I don't usually mess with stuff too much when it's inside, just try to keep them living. Sorry to muck up your thread.

Hi Carol. I’ve not tried to grow these on a windowsill, so I can’t say for sure what to do. What I can tell you is:
  • They’re less cold hardy than the various flavors of microcarpa. I move them in the greenhouse when temperatures drop into the forties. I’ll leave out the others until there’s a threat of a freeze.
  • They need a lot of light in the winter. The warmer you keep them, the more light they need. Without enough light, they’ll start to drop leaves. I thin mine before putting them in the greenhouse so that light can reach the interior leaves. As much light as I get in the greenhouse, it’s not as much as outdoors on the bench. And once they’re tucked away there I tend to not work on them much, so I want them to go in in good shape.
If I were trying to keep mine indoors, I’d probably want to come up with some sort of supplemental lighting.

Scott

Top Bottom