Shohin WLF Problems....advice needed please.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was noticing over the last months....years actually....that my Willow Leaf Ficus is a slow grower.
I've also noticed that it constantly sheds prefectly green leaves, as it slowly grows new ones.
I pulled it out of its pot and the root growth was anemic, so I up potted it into a larger one and gave it some chunky substrate.

I'm wondering if its staying too wet?....possibly....?

It certainly isn't aggressive as I'd expect with the summer were having.
I fertilize, I water, there's sun....but it constantly sheds green leaves.....???

Any ideas, thoughts, advice?
Thanks.
20210813_141432.jpg20210813_141453.jpg20210813_141506.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Nice chunky base on that one. Mine sheds it's leaves in the winter and didn't grow any new ones this year until mid-June. But outside for the summer, it flourishes. wlficus.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice chunky base on that one. Mine sheds it's leaves in the winter and didn't grow any new ones this year until mid-June. But outside for the summer, it flourishes. View attachment 391472
Yeah....I get the leaf loss year round, except for a few months in late winter when it shuts down briefly.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it dry out a bit more than you have been. A "drier" soil will encourage the roots to grow in search of moisture. A stronger, healthier rootball should develop. Too damp and the tree really feels no need to send out any more roots. A bit of shade in the hottest part of the day might help a bit as well.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Let it dry out a bit more than you have been. A "drier" soil will encourage the roots to grow in search of moisture. A stronger, healthier rootball should develop. Too damp and the tree really feels no need to send out any more roots. A bit of shade in the hottest part of the day might help a bit as well.
Thanks for chiming in Lance, I was having similar thoughts about the moisture levels when I saw how little root growth there was since the last repotting.
Some shade, you say?
I always try to keep my ficus trees in as much sun as possible.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll try to get some photos from the garden, I've been a bit lax on documentation these last couple years for a variety of reasons, none good. Benn running some figs REAL dry and growing quite well. There's the real red leaf fig that's displaying some intense color. 9:00 am till 2-2:30 full sun? Out in the hottest part of the day, just on the verge of too much sun and hot soil and then shade before roots get too hot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know Jerry Meislik and others stress not to keep this particular cultivar with damp roots. I usually pay attention to the bark around the roots. Wicking shows if it's damp. If so I skip water. Depends on weather and heat and all that. Mine hasn't shed any foliage yet. But arrived and went shortly outside. A month maybe inside...new to me this year.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All good stuff that I would have mentioned but it has been said. I strongly encourage letting it dry a bit but it sounds like your re-potting for more root aeration will help with that. That and part shade.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
chunky substrate

Good choice. I have tried these in DE (very moisture retentive and not very open) and in a coarse lava/pumice mix (very open and not as moisture retentive), and they seem to grow better in the coarse lava/pumice. In fact, it seems that most ficus grow just great in 100% coarse lava.

From "The World of Ficus Bonsai" by Jerry Meislik: "F. salicaria totally leaf drops under stressful conditions. These stresses include soil that remains too wet or too dry, temperatures that are too hot or too cold, or dramatic changes in light intensity." In other words, it is a goldilocks tree. As usual with statements about roots being kept "too wet," I do not think that constant soil moisture is really the problem, but rather it is a low air-to-water ratio due to dense, moisture retentive soils.

I would not be surprised if your tree perks up a lot next year after filling the pot with roots!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good choice. I have tried these in DE (very moisture retentive and not very open) and in a coarse lava/pumice mix (very open and not as moisture retentive), and they seem to grow better in the coarse lava/pumice. In fact, it seems that most ficus grow just great in 100% coarse lava.

From "The World of Ficus Bonsai" by Jerry Meislik: "F. salicaria totally leaf drops under stressful conditions. These stresses include soil that remains too wet or too dry, temperatures that are too hot or too cold, or dramatic changes in light intensity." In other words, it is a goldilocks tree. As usual with statements about roots being kept "too wet," I do not think that constant soil moisture is really the problem, but rather it is a low air-to-water ratio due to dense, moisture retentive soils.

I would not be surprised if your tree perks up a lot next year after filling the pot with roots!
Thanks!
I hope so!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In just a few days of sitting behind the Elm, and some watering adjustments, I'm seeing some improvement already.
I see at least 5 shoots extending with new leaves!...without dropping leaves!
Nice!
Very happy.
Thanks everyone.

I brought it inside this afternoon to chill inside during some thunderstorms.....really regulating that water.
I'll put it back out tomorrow morning.
16292444945276184971679562191655.jpg20210817_194933.jpg

Top Bottom