Shohin Yew

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, thanks for showing this tree. It has good potential. I look forward to seeing what happens with it in the future.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This yew should work out pretty nice Will, some ramification and shari will transform it nicely.
Check out Dales rustic pots, especially with the greens and reds, they would be a good match to the foliage and bark colors, small drum maybe.

Yew are still under utilized, you made a good start here for a buck. No it won't be a gargantuan tree in our life time, but nothing wrong with little ones. If you think about it large yamadori are nice, but there is not always a good source of suitable or affordable trees, keeping the sizes to smaller sizes though could open up a lot of material for a lot of people. Just cause BIG is fashionable, doesn't mean it's for everybody. Smaller can be harded to pull of as well, so show us what we can do.

Bill

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks plant_dr.

Bill,

Yes, I think Yews are indeed underutilized, but there are a few really great ones out there.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, I like the trunk on this tree. Have you considered lowering the branch angles considerably? Looking forward to seeing the update.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, I like the trunk on this tree. Have you considered lowering the branch angles considerably? Looking forward to seeing the update.

Chris, the idea of lowering the branch angles is a good one and deserves some thought, thank you.

Will

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, the link you posted is really a much better piece of material than what you posted. Your tree will need more growing.

BTW: I would follow the previous advice to drastically reduce your tree to get back budding. Then you can remove the offending ladder-effect branching.

Just my .02 -

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mojosan,

Thank you for your opinion, although I am not sure why it was offered, nor what it matters whose trunk is bigger. :rolleyes:

The link was posted for two reasons, 1) I feel Yews are vastly underused and linking to another thread using a Yew for a shohin binds the two together for future reference and 2) they are both shohin Yews, another reason to link the two for future reference.

Will

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think if a direct comparison between the two yews is really possible. Will's tree is more challenging to begin with, less options. The other had some very nice options to work with-lower branching, etc.

Will's tree is more testament to what can be done with "bargain bin" trees that cost a buck or so. His tree, I think, will turn out pretty well as it develops and he paid a pittance for it.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think if a direct comparison between the two yews is really possible. Will's tree is more challenging to begin with, less options. The other had some very nice options to work with-lower branching, etc.

Will's tree is more testament to what can be done with "bargain bin" trees that cost a buck or so. His tree, I think, will turn out pretty well as it develops and he paid a pittance for it.

I agree, that was my point.

"Thank you for your opinion, although I am not sure why it was offered"

You post a tree asking for opinions, and then ask why someone offers an opinion? :confused:

Top Bottom