Shohin Yew

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a little Yew I have been working on. Styled over two years from raw stock, bought for one dollar.

Next I will detail the apex and start on a little Shari work.....and of course, find a suitable pot.

(yes I know all about the bar branches, but they will stay for now)

Will

Attachments

• yew005_500.jpg
    yew005_500.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 261
  • yew005a_500.jpg
    yew005a_500.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 235
  • yew005b_500.jpg
    yew005b_500.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I really don't mind bar branches so much. They don't always have to be a bad thing. I really like the trunk on this.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Will do you have a virt of where you are wanting it to go?
Irene

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. Looks to be a nice trunk. Ever think about shortening the trunk a bit, even by half? That lower portion is pretty nice. It would be emphasized by a shorter trunk and more compact design...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice tree. Looks to be a nice trunk. Ever think about shortening the trunk a bit, even by half? That lower portion is pretty nice. It would be emphasized by a shorter trunk and more compact design...

Again; this is a tree you have to see to appreciate fully. I predict that in two years it will be show able without excuse for its years in training. It is now as good as anything I have seen done with similar material in twice the time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have to see the tree to appreciate it, what point is there in posting it here, now?:eek:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you have to see the tree to appreciate it, what point is there in posting it here, now?:eek:

For the same reason you found it necessary to make that comment; it is possible to do so. For years there have been some on this web site that have been critical of Will Heath, claiming overtly and covertly, that he does not do bonsai. There is always complaints that he never shows any of his trees, even when this is true of several bonsai growers that post here. Curiously; they catch no flack for not doing the same thing. Well; here you go, he is posting trees while there are still some that don't. I can name several, but etiquette hinders and friendship over-looks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance,

I never questioned Will's trees, never made a point to ask him to post a pic of one.

I can only assume your comments about not posting trees are aimed at me, as well as others. That's a shame, as I have posted trees on other forums. I've also helped Will in the past--in fact we go back quite a long way.

My second remark was regrettable, I apologize for it, but I was a bit alarmed that it seemed that any suggestion about the tree wasn't preempted or discouraged. I merely offered a suggestion that I thought might be considered and not a "critique" on anyone's abilities.

Should Will be treated differently than others when it comes to comments about his trees?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,

I never questioned Will's trees, never made a point to ask him to post a pic of one.

I can only assume your comments about not posting trees are aimed at me, as well as others. That's a shame, as I have posted trees on other forums. I've also helped Will in the past--in fact we go back quite a long way.

My second remark was regrettable, I apologize for it, but I was a bit alarmed that it seemed that any suggestion about the tree wasn't preempted or discouraged. I merely offered a suggestion that I thought might be considered and not a "critique" on anyone's abilities.

Should Will be treated differently than others when it comes to comments about his trees?

Mark, regrettably I have never seen a tree you have posted, I apologize for that, and I never put you into the category of those who will jump all over Will at the first provocation.

As to the critique: A critique is an opinion and all are welcome to offer the same, that does not bother me.

Should Will be treated differently than others when it comes to comments about his trees? No absolutely not---and that's the problem---he is treated differently, but not in a favorable way. It is my hope that these postings and others to follow will silence those individuals who clutter up the site with their obvious hatred of Will Heath, and resentment towards anything he does.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry Vance, that dog won't hunt. Nobody has been overly critical of the trees Will posted today. not sure why you feel you have to stand over him like a snarling dog holding everyone at bay. Rock made a legitimate comment, one that I think would benefit this tree greatly, and you jumped as soon as you saw it wasn't some kind of flowery praise. As for his second comment, I think it becomes justiofied when you say the same thing over and over. Even on the literati thread you said it: "pictures don't do it justice, you have to see it in person" Actually pictures show what's there and the mind will infer the third dimension. I wish you would relax a bit everytime someone says something to Will. I think you've managed to take this thread in the wrong direction and I manged to help you.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the same reason you found it necessary to make that comment; it is possible to do so. For years there have been some on this web site that have been critical of Will Heath, claiming overtly and covertly, that he does not do bonsai. There is always complaints that he never shows any of his trees, even when this is true of several bonsai growers that post here. Curiously; they catch no flack for not doing the same thing. Well; here you go, he is posting trees while there are still some that don't. I can name several, but etiquette hinders and friendship over-looks.

I'm sorry I would normally turn my head on this kind of stuff but I hope you realize how ridiculous your post was. All he did was offer his opinion.

Tom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Vance, that dog won't hunt. Nobody has been overly critical of the trees Will posted today. not sure why you feel you have to stand over him like a snarling dog holding everyone at bay. Rock made a legitimate comment, one that I think would benefit this tree greatly, and you jumped as soon as you saw it wasn't some kind of flowery praise. As for his second comment, I think it becomes justiofied when you say the same thing over and over. Even on the literati thread you said it: "pictures don't do it justice, you have to see it in person" Actually pictures show what's there and the mind will infer the third dimension. I wish you would relax a bit everytime someone says something to Will. I think you've managed to take this thread in the wrong direction and I manged to help you.

I'm sorry I would normally turn my head on this kind of stuff but I hope you realize how ridiculous your post was. All he did was offer his opinion.

Do you two have anything to say about the tree?

Next year the detailing of the apex and the work on deadwood will begin. Anyone care to make a pot suggestion? Just for ideas, as this won't be ready for a new pot for at least a year.

By the way, for those interested, this Yew is just under seven inches tall.

Will

Last edited:

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the tree but I think it can be improved immediately by removing the current apex and using the left bar branch below it as the new apex. I think this will give it more flow and evoke an even more graceful feeling. I would choose either the second or the third image as the front.

Tom

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a good little tree. There's something cluttery about the first branch on the right though. might just be camera angle. I do support a little shortening, the taper's okay but could be better.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which view are you thinking of as a front? I know what I am thinking, and will post later. But wish to hear your thoughts first. I will PM nut with my choice right now so there is no foul play. I like this one, as well as the literati pine. Nice to talk bonsai, to bad for the politics.

-Dave

p.s. I've been drinking, sorry if I come across poorly. Just looking for honest answers and discussion. Thanks for posting some bonsai

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, this tree has a very nice trunk--which ironically, many "sale bin" trees have. That's because they're usually beat up and near death, or are just plain "ugly" and unsellable to the landscape market.

REgardless of what apex it winds up with, it should work up into a nice bonsai.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
For what it's worth, this tree has a very nice trunk--which ironically, many "sale bin" trees have. That's because they're usually beat up and near death, or are just plain "ugly" and unsellable to the landscape market.

REgardless of what apex it winds up with, it should work up into a nice bonsai.

Bravo Mark, you hit the nail on the head. This is the point I have been trying to make about nursery trees for years. By the way, I apologize for giving the impression I was singling you out in a previous post.

Top Bottom