Shohin Yew

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all........Here is a progression of a tree I picked up about 1 1/2 years ago... I found this tree at a Home Depot for about $15. What caught my eye was how there was a sort of natural shari.. Unusual for a home depot tree.. Anyway, I noticed that it had a single thick trunk and some workable low branches...

Pic 1 and 2 is the tree after purchase.. Originally, the tree was about 14-15 inches tall.

Pics 3 and 4 are the tree right after the initial styling, but still in the nursery container. After reviewing my work, the first anchoring branch that I guy wired was bothering me. Although as far as the future forming of pads was concerned, it may have looked good. However, the way the branch emanated from the trunk was displeasing. It was coming from an inside curve and also it almost looked like the tree was throwing up the branch..lol

Pic 5 is the tree with the bottom branch removed and it put into a grow pot. Sometimes when I look at the pics, I wonder if I did the right thing by removing the low branch. However, I believe that, aesthetics wise, it would be the best look for the tree in the future.... Over the last year the tree has grown incredibly (not pictured). It has almost reverted back into a bush. Which is fine, because I needed to the tree to ramify and have the young buds turn into branches.

All comments are welcome and feel free to give your opinion on the removal of that first branch.. Although it is a little late now...lol

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3826.jpg
    IMG_3826.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4890.jpg
    IMG_4890.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 190

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How kewl is that. Nice series. Thanx for sharing.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant is looking good.

I would have contemplated the removal of said branch for one more year.

Al

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone...

Smoke, I do agree... all be it too late now.. However, the tree has grown incredibly and the new anchoring branch has grown well and was trained to swoop pretty far down. So, when it is all said and done (say 4 years of training, total) there should be a nice pad right where the first outside curve of the trunk begins.

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Al, are you talking about leaving that branch, so as not to remove too much at the first styling??

Good for you Rob, had a similar one from HD too, some reason or other it went to the finished bonsai pile, possibly took off too much at first styling.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice little shohin, which can be a daunting thing when it comes to yews. As mentioned before the branch removal might of waited. However, as strong as this looks it should have minimal impact. My one suggestion is to keep these pads light. You will find that buds will pop from everywhere and can quickly overwhelm the tree. In spring rub out selected buds before they get away from you.

Nicely done :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
thanks Bil and Tachigi... And yes, Tachigi. It has back budded everywhere.. The subtle buds you see that made up the apex, are actually workable, decent thickness branches now.

The tree has almost reverted back into a bush, so come late winter/early spring. I will just go with what the tree has given me to work with.

Here is a virt similar to what I would like within the next 2 years...

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4890.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4890.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 100

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Although late... Here it is with that branch added back.. Notice the composition looks better, However, the way the branch emanates fro mthe trunk is just displeasing to me.

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of IMG_4890.JPG
    Copy of Copy of IMG_4890.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 84

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have worked with a few yews. I currently do not have any in my collection as good ones on the west coast are hard to come by.

I was wondering about flexibility. It seems yews can take an awefull lot of bending without breaking. Was also wondering if it was tried to get a better exit direction on that branch before removeing. I mean if your thought might be to remove it, then drastic shapeing can be serindipitious.

al

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Smoke... As far as bendability..... I believe that they can be somewhat tough to bend. However, they seem to be able to withstand a lot before breaking. It is just that the wood seems very dense. Also, I tried to get a better angle for a front. However, that angle was the best to show the trunk and the beautiful natural taper. The tree has grown so much that the branches that were left, grew very long and strong. So, I will be able to create pads lower on the trunk after they are pulled down. Actually, the branches took well to training are already have a nice swoop to them.

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Robbie...

I love your little yew... that thing will go CRAZY in your care... you make trees go like few I know. Well done! I'll look forward to seeing it again next year. :)

Victrinia

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello noissee It is a yew... I think it might be taxus densiformis.

Hello Vic..good to see your comment. Thanks for the vote of confidence... I hope the tree shares your confidence in me...lol

Rob

Top Bottom