Shohin Zelkova

Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately I do not have any pics. It originally came in a deeper pot that I used again (dark blue rectangular one) a couple of years back to get the tree a bit stronger after noticing a slight decline in its vigor. It came with a decent nebari and branch structure that just needed slow and steady development. There was no need for larger pots or boxes as strong growth and thickening was not the goal in this case.
Thanks Sergio for the detailed answer . Do you think especially in case of zelkova , it’s almost better to grow them organically - meaning slowly and by clip and grow rather than hard in deeper boxes or pots for faster growth ? How do you handle wire marks on such beautiful bark if any ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Sergio for the detailed answer . Do you think especially in case of zelkova , it’s almost better to grow them organically - meaning slowly and by clip and grow rather than hard in deeper boxes or pots for faster growth ? How do you handle wire marks on such beautiful bark if any ?

Well it depends. What size tree do you want and what size trunk do you want your bonsai to have. A zelkova (or any other tree) grown aggressively in the ground or in a box has some advantages. Thickening and growth happens much faster. Then you can start your refining process in a pot. But there is nothing wrong with slowly developing a tree exclusively in a pot. It has its beauty and merits, it just will take you that much longer to get there.

Initially I approach all my trees using a combination of wire and directional pruning. As the tree develops I then start to rely less on wiring and lean more into directional pruning. Wire scars on smooth barked trees are a problem and often you will need to cut off the branch and start over if the damage is significant enough. So when you wire, you must be VERY vigilant!!

Reaction score
Well it depends. What size tree do you want and what size trunk do you want your bonsai to have. A zelkova (or any other tree) grown aggressively in the ground or in a box has some advantages. Thickening and growth happens much faster. Then you can start your refining process in a pot. But there is nothing wrong with slowly developing a tree exclusively in a pot. It has its beauty and merits, it just will take you that much longer to get there.

Initially I approach all my trees using a combination of wire and directional pruning. As the tree develops I then start to rely less on wiring and lean more into directional pruning. Wire scars on smooth barked trees are a problem and often you will need to cut off the branch and start over if the damage is significant enough. So when you wire, you must be VERY vigilant!!
Beautiful reply Sergio and thanks for taking time to explain . I do have some other questions but will take it in private message so as not to crowd this beautiful thread .

Top Bottom