Shohin Zelkova

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Serge, I’m gonna go against everyone and tell you I don’t really like these pictures.
It looks like it’s “made” now I don’t now what you did in photoshop or if that’s the problem but it just doesn’t feel right . I think it is the color of the pot. Even the moss looks out of place to me. It shows especially with the black background.

So maybe in reall life it looks better butif it does, then it’s a photography problem and I’m sure you can go better in that case.
But hey, that’s just what I think

I like the pot and the tree looks very good though ...

Sorry Tommy not sure what you mean by "made"? Do you mean they look artificial? We can't please everyone and as always I do appreciate all feedback. So ok if you're not feeling these but at least you like the tree! :)

Also I wonder how some of my photos might be showing up in people's screens. Sometimes they can be quite off. It is different from screen to screen.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry Tommy not sure what you mean by "made"? Do you mean they look artificial? We can't please everyone and as always I do appreciate all feedback. So ok if you're not feeling these but at least you like the tree! :)

Also I wonder how some of my photos might be showing up in people's screens. Sometimes they can be quite off. It is different from screen to screen.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I think it’s very beautiful but the colors in the picture seemed like a little too vivid to feel real. I must say I had too much wine though yesterday.. that may have made me see different colors.. pretty sure it was normal wine though I still feel the aftermath in my head now..

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh don’t get me wrong, I think it’s very beautiful but the colors in the picture seemed like a little too vivid to feel real. I must say I had too much wine though yesterday.. that may have made me see different colors.. pretty sure it was normal wine though I still feel the aftermath in my head now..

LOL well yes too much alcohol may do funny things. But also it may be that it looks a bit different on your monitor? I always try to reflect my work as faithfully as possible in photos. These images as they appear on my screen look quite accurate to the real thing. Now let's go back to drinking! :p

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool tree, thanks for taking the time to share all your work. Everything you post is inspirational or more descriptive would be Bad Ass!!!!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great!
I thought you did not like ‘pancake’ nebari:eek:

It’s amazing how the rootbase has done that since first photo of this thread....Wow

Question: did you ever just shear or hedge the branches back to older wood and wait for buds to develop to get it to this stage?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks great!
I thought you did not like ‘pancake’ nebari:eek:

It’s amazing how the rootbase has done that since first photo of this thread....Wow

Question: did you ever just shear or hedge the branches back to older wood and wait for buds to develop to get it to this stage?

Curtis, yes it really has progressed quite rapidly in just a couple of years! The only technique I have used on it is leaf pruning to thin out the outer parts of the canopy to make sure all interior shoots stay healthy and encourage new ones. I have never had the need to cut it back aggressively.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The last photo from the right side of the tree, I really enjoy that angle. It feels more natural to me, I'm sure you've picked the best front, but I think this could be a nice one too. The tree is looking great!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The last photo from the right side of the tree, I really enjoy that angle. It feels more natural to me, I'm sure you've picked the best front, but I think this could be a nice one too. The tree is looking great!

Thanks Juds! It looks nice in that pic doesn't it? In reality when you look at the branch structure, that angle is not quite as good. There are two secondary branches where their exit angle looks too pararell to each other as they go up into the canopy. But as we all know, trees grow and evolve and not to say that a new front may emerge one day. The canopy from that angle does look a bit more even.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's the way the front main branch on the right trunk goes up and twists, that you see at that angle that is so attractive to me. Also it is less straight on to the two sub trunks where they separate that helps the overall image I think. Like I said, I'm sure that in person it's the best front that you have currently.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's the way the front main branch on the right trunk goes up and twists, that you see at that angle that is so attractive to me. Also it is less straight on to the two sub trunks where they separate that helps the overall image I think. Like I said, I'm sure that in person it's the best front that you have currently.

Yep gotcha! :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have aquired this little 5" shohin this week and hope have mine look as good as the ones above in coming years. Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Tree.JPG

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have aquired this little 5" shohin this week and hope have mine look as good as the ones above in coming years. Any tips would be great.

Thanks

View attachment 235345

Nice tree Paul. I would suggest to have branches not crossing each other. Simplify your structure so that all branches grow outwards from the center creating a fan shape. Work towards finer and finer taper in your branches. In order to achieve this you may find that some drastic pruning may be in order.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree Paul. I would suggest to have branches not crossing each other. Simplify your structure so that all branches grow outwards from the center creating a fan shape. Work towards finer and finer taper in your branches. In order to achieve this you may find that some drastic pruning may be in order.
“some drastic pruning may be in order”??? Understatement of the year!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Early winter update. The tree keeps improving slowly but steadily. Every year I've defoliated it in mid to late June to promote ramification. Now it was pruned back for refinement and did some light corrective wiring. See you next spring!

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

Top Bottom