Shore conferta share your pics and experiences...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
full

full

I picked this Shore Juniper up yesterday $7 Not sure what's blue about it other than the name.
I set it back down, and got half way to the register with a Japanese Holly, and turned back around
and traded back to this little guy. The holly looked pretty good actually, but haven't made all my rounds yet.
Besides I have more than I can properly care for any way. I got a mugo pumilio too that's not noteworthy really.

Bonsai Nut says these junipers need a bit more training to be upright and send long branches.
The branches are a bit limpy but plenty of secondaries to cut back to which I will do when it starts pushing
new growth actively and hopefully control the internode length.

It just screamed I want to be a cascade when I picked it up like a little puppy wanting attention so I couldn't resist.
The longest tail or cascade apex is broken but not a problem. The upper apex had also been cut off
maybe broken too and trimmed up prior to trucking out. Anyway, when should I do what to this new recruit?

Bonsaiolo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey,
I know its quite late for an answer, but I just recently joined the community! Curious about the way you decided to style the tree! Attached is a (terrible) little draw of what you could achieve with this juniper :) The cascade is very tempting indeed!20200119_121902(1).jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey,
I know its quite late for an answer, but I just recently joined the community! Curious about the way you decided to style the tree! Attached is a (terrible) little draw of what you could achieve with this juniper :) The cascade is very tempting indeed!
Thank you and your drawing is anything but terrible. Much better than I could do for sure.
The cascade can be removed at most any time, so it won't hurt to start out with one.
Still so young, it will be a couple years before I do any pruning on it.
I just liked how the bones of it lent itself to the hobby from the start.
The foliage...we'll see what happens in a couple of years ;)
For now it's going to grow more foliage and get repotted. The root ball is frozen solid ATM
I just carried it around to my Winter cave this morning.
Here's a thread showing my Winter storage area/cave.

Top Bottom