USDA Zone
7a
Hard for me to decide which side I like best for the front

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For me, this angle has a very interesting trunk line.
View attachment 345604
Interestingly enough, my consideration for crunching the trunk closer makes that angle easier to achieve and compacts the tree. I will also have to consider how the jin on the right changes with the bend to create the most interesting angle.
What creates a lot of extra interest is the planting angle and elevation change creatively suggested by your editing! Thanks

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hello, i like this front too. I would be curious to see the tree more tilted forward to see ..
View attachment 345678
Thanks, got it! The bend I am considering will result in that movement. tightening the existing bend and compacting the top forward and down. Coupled with the change in planting angle should accomplish what you are suggesting!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update, moving into repotting season, taking advantage of the greenhouse and starting early! First change for this tree is beginning with the soil and planting angle. Wanted to elevate the tree from its mostly prone position to establish better options for design. Shore Pine often have a few stronger, longer roots and adaptation takes time. Collected in 2014 and repotted several times, I thought it was possible to reposition roots and achieve the desired planting angle this time! Pictures earlier in the thread show the starting point this morning. Here is the new point of view to consider for front and design. Will let the tree recover now for the entire growing season or longer depending on response. Lots of work today! No work on branches or foliage. First picture for ihaveaspaceship ,
picture number four for clem.
IMG_1378.jpegIMG_1379.jpegIMG_1380.jpegIMG_1381.jpegIMG_1382.jpegIMG_1383.jpegIMG_1377.jpeg

Last edited:

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice pine 👍 Seeing those pics, i still prefer the pic #4 or a front between the pic #3 and the pic #4 because of the nice shari and the trunk line breaking. Do you have a preference ?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think Ihaveaspaceship's preferred front was closer to picture number five. I would prefer the back of that view, which is approximately picture number 3, but turned slightly clockwise.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice pine 👍 Seeing those pics, i still prefer the pic #4 or a front between the pic #3 and the pic #4 because of the nice shari and the trunk line breaking. Do you have a preference ?
Pictures are very deceiving and it is difficult to envision how the branches will wire in place. My preference is close to picture seven in this series. Turned counter clockwise approximately 15 degrees.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I still intend to create a bend to move forward the secondary portion of the trunk to better position the top jin and compact the tree. This move will wait at least a year for recovery and be timed with the major structural wiring of primary branches for position and movement. Then from that point it will be possible to determine how best to change the Jin if desired and clean up or remove extra bits.

Top Bottom