Shore Pine Literati Design help

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks,
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts/ideas on the attached shore pine (P. contorta contorta) as Literati.
A brief history;
Collected in Sept 2008 much to the dismay of my mentor who advised me that he felt it was too weak (it had hardly any growth). I put it into the training pot the same day it was collected (as I do not have a transplant bed) and it has flushed nicely this spring.
One can see that it is an old tree (bark) and the main branches are very stiff and feel brittle when one attempts to move/twist/turn them. I really like the basal Shari but unfortunately it doesn't have a great deal of surface roots.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Cheers
Gman

Attachments

• Oyster Literati pot. front.jpg
    Oyster Literati pot. front.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Oyster River Literati deadwood details.jpg
    Oyster River Literati deadwood details.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see those lower branches and crown with back budding and foliage pads filled out. Since it was only collected last year it is not yet ready for any styling. For now feed and water to get it vigorous so that it'll back bud. Then in three to four years consider styling.
It does have an interesting trunk and can be a nice tree.
Good luck with it.
walt r

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recommend that you see Walter Pall's website for these matter (walter-pall.de). He has countless yamadori and knows exactly how to take care of them. I second Walt's opinion and would say to just leave it alone for at least a year or two, or until you get really nice healthy candles that would need to be trimmed. It'll probably take years, not months for this tree to adjust.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would recommend not getting too attached to this plant or make any plans for it for at least another 2 years.

Old collected trees can sometime run on "reserves" for years. Some can even manage a flush of new growth, which usually pushes them over the edge.

Plan on just keeping this tree alive and thank what ever deity you wish when it starts pushing new growth.

Actual work on the trunk and branches is a good three or four years off.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks

Thanks for the comments,
I fully understand that if this tree makes it over the next couple of years, I'll be able to think about its future at that time.
All I was looking for was some ideas on design given the branch structure that it has now……as I don't believe its going to put out any new branches per se……so I will only be able to work with the ones that it has now (if they survive).
Cheers

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, its also know as the Lodgepole pine. This tree should bud back on all the branches if it becomes vigorous enough. Time will tell.
I almost bought one last year at Nature's Way in PA, but waited and it was sold when I went back. A Lodgepole is on my wish list.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Gman,
It's been two years now so would love to get an update. Did it make it? I love shore pine. I also squirm when they are referred to as just a lodgepole. I have two that our mutual friend collected. After two years they were transplanted into a pot and "boon" mix. That late summer they received their first styling. Both have held their own and am looking forward to making them more vigorus this year.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yeah cough it up Gram .... how did it go? shoulda been fine as long as it lived through June-July

Top Bottom