Shore Pine

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This past Friday I drove up to Bonsai West to look for some new material to work this year. I am looking through the junipers and pines and Mauro Stemberger walks by. He asks me if I want to see the Juniper he is styling for the owner. I walk in and he shows me how he is changing the style and using the foliage to frame the trunk. I mention I had just started with bonsai two years ago and was looking for some bigger material to work. So he ask me if I'd like his help choosing a tree.

We go back to the junipers and pines and he shows me the merits of a few trees and what he thought was better material in my price range. I ended up choosing a shore pine (spaan's dwarf).

So of course he is giving a workshop the next day. I figure it is worth seeing what this tree can be. So I sign up.

I apologize for the lighting but the workshop was outside and difficult to get good shots. And since getting back from the workshop it has been raining. I hope to post more in a day or so because the final shots are not lit well.

20190511_093202.jpg

20190511_104008.jpg

20190511_143510.jpg
20190511_143441.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! I picked up two of these, the spaans dwarf cultivar, last fall from a wholesale nursery that is going out of business. They’re pretty sizable and I got them for a ridiculously low price. Pretty excited to see how they shape up. I just reported one last week and will be doing the other this week. The roots were kind of a circling mess to say the least so wasn’t psyched on that but I think I found a planting angle the should look ok in relation to what I had for roots. Nice!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool. What an awesome chance encounter. I’m sure your also telling yourself, as I know I would be, dont kill this tree, dont kill this tree. ? best of luck with it!!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool. What an awesome chance encounter. I’m sure your also telling yourself, as I know I would be, dont kill this tree, dont kill this tree. ? best of luck with it!!
Yes that thought has gone through my head. For this year Mauro said just fertilize and water. Next spring repot into a slightly bigger pot (i am nervous for that step) and start pinching growth to build ramification.

Probably need to be on top of wires this year too. To make sure they come off before they are too tight.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes that thought has gone through my head. For this year Mauro said just fertilize and water. Next spring repot into a slightly bigger pot (i am nervous for that step) and start pinching growth to build ramification.

Probably neex to be on top of wires this year too. To make sure they come off before they are two tight.

Huh, did Mauro say why to put it in a bigger pot instead of a smaller pot? My initial thought is that potting into a larger container would just be counter productive but I guess I’m missing something.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Huh, did Mauro say why to put it in a bigger pot instead of a smaller pot? My initial thought is that potting into a larger container would just be counter productive but I guess I’m missing something.
With a basic structure set, I think one wants more foliage, lots of it. Bigger pot allows more roots to support this. Then refinement leads to down sizing, I think.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I didn't think to ask why bigger but I think he meant more in area. It is hard to see in the pics but the nebari flairs out on the left side quite a bit. It is low to the soil but Mauro said once exposed it should thicken up some. My thought was something slightly shallower but bigger in area.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I didn't think to ask why bigger but I think he meant more in area. It is hard to see in the pics but the nebari flairs out on the left side quite a bit. It is low to the soil but Mauro said once exposed it should thicken up some. My thought was something slightly shallower but bigger in area.

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This past Friday I drove up to Bonsai West to look for some new material to work this year. I am looking through the junipers and pines and Mauro Stemberger walks by. He asks me if I want to see the Juniper he is styling for the owner. I walk in and he shows me how he is changing the style and using the foliage to frame the trunk. I mention I had just started with bonsai two years ago and was looking for some bigger material to work. So he ask me if I'd like his help choosing a tree.

We go back to the junipers and pines and he shows me the merits of a few trees and what he thought was better material in my price range. I ended up choosing a shore pine (spaan's dwarf).

So of course he is giving a workshop the next day. I figure it is worth seeing what this tree can be. So I sign up.

I apologize for the lighting but the workshop was outside and difficult to get good shots. And since getting back from the workshop it has been raining. I hope to post more in a day or so because the final shots are not lit well.

View attachment 242202

View attachment 242203

View attachment 242204
View attachment 242205
How much was it if you don’t mine me asking? I have never been there I didn’t know if it was worth the trip? It’s probably 2.5 hours away on a good day

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Repotted this past weekend no other updates. I am participating in John Ramano's Kaikou school. First class was a zoom meeting on repotting. After the class I did a half bare root repot. John was able to support via video when I had questions. The pot I bought for this is a little on the large size but it was what I had. Fingers crossed.

20200418_150401.jpg

Top Bottom