Shortleaf Pine (Pinus Echinata)

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
With that kind of back budding, I bet you can treat this tree as a multi-flush pine when it’s healthy.
Oh it is a double flush pine , Idk if just as strong as Pitch Pine,had a bird or something go after the needles in the summer and tore them all off on a small branch (when it had them) and it got buds too. But yes will be looking forward to its new look

nutshell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the tips, the smaller trees had some weird orange fungus. I didn’t wanna mess around so into burn pile. Did you have any pest problems with your shortleaf like bird or mammals? I mean the bending part I’m trying to go for a rebar and guy wire method. But as noted above , it may be all cut back up too , and lower branches used since it’s budding form old bark.
Did the fungus look like this?
Also, very nice backbudding.

Attachments

• dfawerasfasd.jpg
    dfawerasfasd.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 69

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think some branches are triple flushing , it flushed early spring , then around early July and now some late august. Putting this into a wooden box or a terracotta training pot spring time, cleaning up the surface roots .keep same orientation or slight angle shift , and maybe just maybe do a wedge cut to get a bit more movement down the trunk.. but that’s further down the road. The top growth where there’s a good 4-6 branchlets is going to be the new leader, not the bud further up . Either will Jin the top part of it , or cut it off to get change of direction. 70E45F40-004F-4987-B329-A858EE71145F.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This was an emotional adventure reading this thread for the first time!

🤓

Looking good!

Many more realistic, and ultimately
"better" designs able to be built now.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I repotted into a sturdy training pot , I cut dead root off , kept at same angle , but this is the front , it’s growing well and I am starting to see what could be in a few more years. Subtle lines in the trunk
D896F467-8F4C-462B-97D9-D0104E3642B1.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
E7391CAA-A63A-4CA3-8D34-013D38FA0EA2.jpeg
6792AE1F-99D8-42EA-A5B6-869922DA13E0.jpeg
Just letting it grow more .. eventually will Jin the top or cut it back. Also playing w the angles a bit

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's looking good 👍 I'm actually getting really good growth on my short leaf seedlings way down here in the South Louisiana heat, surprisingly.
Thank you … I’m just letting it grow more .. then I’ll have to build the branches and figure out which of them to keep .. the new apex is a strong stout branch already .. but I think it’s still lacking just one thing to set it up for the future … I wish there was a way add just one more bend in the trunk . Wedge cut with a serious rig right here that turn is above that small branch coming off the left.. or

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you … I’m just letting it grow more .. then I’ll have to build the branches and figure out which of them to keep .. the new apex is a strong stout branch already .. but I think it’s still lacking just one thing to set it up for the future … I wish there was a way add just one more bend in the trunk . Wedge cut with a serious rig right here that turn is above that small branch coming off the left.. or
It's a huge risk but executed skillfully, I don't see why it wouldn't work. If it were mine I'd try to promote growth on those lower branches if you already have the trunk size you want. And you know the rest. 🪚🪚🪚

Top Bottom