Shou sugi ban/Yakisugi Bonsai Shelf.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve been needing a better way to display my bonsai nicely on my back deck, but really didn’t want to take up a lot of deck space with a bench. I decided to design a shelf to sit on the deck rail. The shelf is made it out of cedar I treated with the shou sugi ban/yakisugi Japanese wood burning technique. Basically you char the outer layers of wood with a blow torch, and if desired you can brush it with various wire brushes to remove some of the char and achieve whatever look you are going for. I did not apply any topcoat for minimal maintenance, however I sealed the end grain with anchor seal to increase longevity. It will be interesting to see if the natural slivering of the wood will pop the grain pattern even more.

I secured it to the rail with tarp straps so I can easily move it to any position for varying sun/shade conditions. The shelf is 8” wide, which works great for most of my bonsai, but I’m thinking I will make my next one 12” wide to accommodate my bigger trees.

91DFDA2A-7FE7-4558-AD49-65532BE28C75.jpeg940DD72C-DFDE-406B-B030-3C3A5EA0A9EF.jpeg14752DF2-5BAD-4D51-AEF7-536ABA4715E8.jpegDA31EBA3-E32A-44C4-9413-3FBA33EAC52C.jpegFA0CCEB9-63BE-4ADC-BD04-B53116096636.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well done. It looks nice.

Although burning it does a good job of sealing the pores, I think brushing it likely undoes some of that. After brushing I treated mine with boiled linseed oil and paste wax to give it a little extra protection. It was probably overkill. I like the looks both ways.

I would be terrified to rely on those tarp straps on a windy day, or if a squirrel or bird gets up there. If you drop some screws through the bench into the handrail they would be easy to fix with a little wood filler later. Or if that’s not an option maybe consider c-clamps or rope/paracord at least. Any elastic quality in a tie-down is certainly unreliable for this purpose. Also, eye hook screws or cleats would be better than wood screws for tie downs if you stick with that method.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! I’d love to see pictures of yours. I think it undoubtedly looks a whole lot better with a topcoat on it. I’m sure brushing minimizes the preserving properties of the burning, but cedar is good outside anyways, and I love the aesthetics of it. The trouble I have is that outside it won’t last either way, and I have no interest in recoating a couple times a year. We shall see how it holds up.

I was originally going to screw it down, but after seeing how secure the straps are I am sold on them. They are heavy duty rubber that takes a lot of force to stretch, unlike bungee cords. There are also cleats on both from and back to prevent any sliding. Any major storms I usually put stuff on the deck against the house under the eaves or inside anyways.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks! I’d love to see pictures of yours.

This is my little shou sugi ban bench, the post just above it is the pergola bar/bench I built this year.

Top Bottom